BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: England
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 8 May, 2002, 16:11 GMT 17:11 UK
Ten more Millwall suspects sought
Millwall suspects
Pictures of 10 people suspected in being involved in the rioting following a Division One play-off match between Millwall and Birmingham City have been released.

Almost 100 police officers were injured in the trouble after the club's bitter defeat by City last week.

Dozens of police horses were also injured when they came under attack from a barrage of missiles for more than an hour.

Crowds threw bricks, paving stones, a chisel, flares and fireworks at police and two cars were set alight.

Millwall suspect
One of the men the police want to trace

The new photographs are taken from CCTV cameras and footage shot outside the London club's New Den ground.

Police have already released images of six other men they want to interview.

Six people have appeared in court in connection with the violence, which senior Metropolitan Police officers described as among the worst they have seen.

Violence

Detective Chief Inspector Peter Newman, leading Operation Zampa set up to trace the thugs, said: "The Met is determined to track down those responsible for the shocking behaviour of a certain element of Millwall supporters that night.

Millwall suspect
Do you recognise this man?

"We are very grateful for the response from the public in this investigation who I'm sure are as disgusted as we are with the acts of violence committed in the name of football.

"They have helped us to identify five men out of the six pictures released so far."

The Met said after the disturbances that it was considering suing the club for the damage caused.

Millwall officials have apologised for the actions of the club's supporters.

The club is considering restrictions on visiting fans next season and on its fans travelling to away fixtures.

Incident room 020 7230 1354

Crimestoppers 0800 555 111

See also:

02 May 02 | Eng Div 1
Birmingham snatch dramatic win
03 May 02 | Millwall
Millwall's hooligan ban threat
03 May 02 | Millwall
Millwall's millstone
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories