BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 8 May, 2002, 10:16 GMT 11:16 UK
Paisley attends Saville inquiry
Ian Paisley arrives at the inquiry on Wednesday
Ian Paisley arrives at the inquiry on Wednesday
Ian Paisley has attended the Bloody Sunday Inquiry after he was warned he would be reported for contempt of court if he ignored an order to appear on Wednesday.

The leader of the Democratic Unionist Party in Northern Ireland was due to attend the inquiry 24 hours earlier, but sent a legal representative instead.

Mr Paisley met his legal advisers late on Tuesday night to discuss what he should do.

He entered the witness box shortly before 1000 BST on Wednesday and accused the tribunal of political discrimination.

The North Antrim MP said he was amazed by the attitude of the tribunal towards him.

Inquiry chairman Lord Saville
Lord Saville warned MP could be held in contempt
The Saville Inquiry, sitting in Derry, is examining the events of 30 January 1972 when 13 civilians were shot dead by British army soldiers during a civil rights march in the city. A 14th person died later.

Mr Paisley was asked why a counter-demonstration by the Democratic Unionist Association was called off on the eve of the civil rights march.

He stated he was not involved in the planning of the demonstration and did not know why it was called off.

He said the tribunal should ask the party officer quoted in the press at the time, adding that this man had not been questioned or ordered to give evidence.

Counsel to the inquiry, Christopher Clarke QC, said every effort was being made to get a statement and evidence from the man and that he hoped he would attend the proceedings voluntarily.

The DUP leader said the tribunal had treated this person differently and that he was the victim of political discrimination.

Short notice

Mr Paisley entered the Guildhall on Wednesday before the deadline set by Lord Saville.

On Tuesday, DUP assembly member Ian Paisley Junior said his father was only told last Monday he would appear at the tribunal and it was far too short notice for him to attend.

He said his father "had far more pressing and credible parliamentary duties to attend to".

He said the North Antrim MP had already given material to the tribunal.

Events

Lord Saville of Newdigate and the commonwealth judges accompanying him on the Bloody Sunday inquiry began their work nearly four years ago.

They are not expected to report back until 2004.

The Bloody Sunday inquiry was established in 1998 by Prime Minister Tony Blair after a campaign by families of those killed and injured.

They felt that the Widgery Inquiry, held shortly after the shootings, did not find out the truth about what happened on Bloody Sunday.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC NI's Paul McAuley:
"Ian Paisley was warned he would be reported to the High Court"
See also:

02 May 02 | Northern Ireland
'Reveal sources' says inquiry
07 Mar 02 | Northern Ireland
Challenge over inquiry fees to continue
04 Feb 02 | Northern Ireland
Inquiry hears police evidence
13 Feb 02 | Northern Ireland
Bloody Sunday legal challenge adjourned
30 Jan 02 | Northern Ireland
Bloody Sunday 30 years on
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories