BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 8 May, 2002, 08:02 GMT 09:02 UK
Hong Kong launches hunt for migrants
Police guard Hong Kong's immigration department
Police and immigration officials took part in the raids
test hello test
By Damian Grammaticas
BBC Hong Kong correspondent
line

Hong Kong's authorities have begun raiding homes across the territory as part of a policy to find and deport more than 4,000 people back to mainland China.

Over 100 immigration and police officers began the operation targeting flats across Hong Kong.


Many families are believed to have hidden their children to prevent the authorities from finding them

The raids marked an escalation of the government's policy to find and repatriate children of Hong Kong residents who the government is deporting to mainland China.

All were born in mainland China to parents who moved as migrants to the territory. Their children came to live with them. But Hong Kong wants to keep strict limits on immigration.

The government removed the children's right of abode and set a deadline for them to return to China voluntarily.

Arrests

Thousands ignored the order and were sent summonses demanding they report to immigration offices for immediate repatriation. But most have continued to defy the authorities so their families' homes are now being searched.

Protester Ng Sau-tin begs immigration officials to allow her children to reside in Hong Kong during a demonstration outside Immigration Department 22 April 2002 in support of Chinese migrant
Families face being split up
A government spokeswoman said three men and three women aged between 25 and 41 had been arrested.

All are being held and will be deported to China as soon as possible, she said.

One other man has been arrested for aiding and abetting an individual ignoring a summons.

So far the government has targeted families whose children have spent so many years pressing their claims to be allowed to live in the territory that they are now adults in their own right.

But some of those it wants to deport are as young as five or six years old. Many families are believed to have hidden their children to prevent the authorities from finding them.

See also:

23 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
HK deports disabled man
19 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
Indian author says HK is racist
16 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
HK twin tells of relief
15 Apr 02 | Sci/Tech
Smart cards head for Hong Kong
12 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
HK police hunt abode-seekers
31 Jan 02 | Asia-Pacific
Hong Kong returnees 'beaten in China'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories