BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 8 May, 2002, 03:24 GMT 04:24 UK
Contempt ruling looms for Paisley
Ian Paisley
Ian Paisley had other pressing duties, the inquiry heard
Ian Paisley has been warned that he will be reported for contempt of court if he ignores an order to appear before the Bloody Sunday Inquiry on Wednesday.

The leader of the Democratic Unionist Party in Northern Ireland was due to attend the inquiry 24 hours earlier, but sent a legal representative instead.

Mr Paisley met his legal advisers late into Tuesday night to discuss what he should do.

The Saville Inquiry, sitting in Derry, is examining the events of 30 January 1972 when 13 civilians were shot dead by British army soldiers during a civil rights march in the city. A 14th person died later.

The tribunal wants to hear why a counter-demonstration by the Democratic Unionist Association was called off on the eve of the civil rights march.

Inquiry chairman Lord Saville
Lord Saville warned MP could be held in contempt
Lord Saville warned a solicitor appearing for Mr Paisley on Tuesday he would inform the High Court if the DUP leader failed to appear the following day.

The solicitor, John McBurney, cited "parliamentary duties" for the non-appearance of his client.

But Lord Saville told Mr McBurney: "We have come to the conclusion that we will certify Dr Paisley for contempt if he does not appear here by 9.30 tomorrow morning."

DUP assembly member Ian Paisley Junior said his father was only told last Monday he would appear at the tribunal and it was far too short notice for him to attend.

He said his father "had far more pressing and credible parliamentary duties to attend to".

He said the North Antrim MP had already given material to the tribunal.

Christopher Clarke QC, counsel to the tribunal, confirmed that, following correspondence last week, the MP's solicitors had advised he would be unable to travel to Londonderry on Tuesday because of parliamentary business.

Events

Mr Clarke said last week that it had not been easy to secure Mr Paisley's attendance.

He revealed that Mr Paisley had recently been served with a summons.

Lord Saville of Newdigate and the commonwealth judges accompanying him on the Bloody Sunday inquiry began their work nearly four years ago.

They are not expected to report back until 2004.

The Bloody Sunday inquiry was established in 1998 by Prime Minister Tony Blair after a campaign by families of those killed and injured.

They felt that the Widgery Inquiry, held shortly after the shootings, did not find out the truth about what happened on Bloody Sunday.

See also:

02 May 02 | Northern Ireland
'Reveal sources' says inquiry
07 Mar 02 | Northern Ireland
Challenge over inquiry fees to continue
04 Feb 02 | Northern Ireland
Inquiry hears police evidence
13 Feb 02 | Northern Ireland
Bloody Sunday legal challenge adjourned
30 Jan 02 | Northern Ireland
Bloody Sunday 30 years on
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories