| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Wednesday, 8 May, 2002, 05:49 GMT 06:49 UK
Nepal lays siege to rebels
The latest battle has boosted troop morale
Nepalese security forces are pressing on with operations against Maoist rebels in the west of the country.
Nepalese Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba, who is in Washington, says he has secured strong support from President Bush in his battle against the rebels. In a television broadcast, the army said nearly 550 rebels had been killed since Thursday, making it the bloodiest battle in the six-year insurgency. There is no independent confirmation of the figure as the media and human rights groups have been barred from the conflict zone. The London-based rights group, Amnesty International, called for an independent investigation into what it called "unlawful killings" by the army. 'Deliberate' killing "So far, no figures have been released with the number of Maoists wounded or arrested," Amnesty said in a statement sent to the BBC in London.
The action against the Maoists came as Nepal's prime minister met US President George W Bush in Washington. Talking to reporters after the meeting, Mr Deuba said he would been assured of help in many ways, but gave no details. The Bush administration has already asked Congress for $20m in non-combat military aid for Nepal, which would include army uniforms, provisions and medical supplies. Mr Deuba is also due to have talks with the British prime minister, Tony Blair, on his way home to Nepal next week. Rebel heartland The main area under siege is in the Maoist heartland district of Rolpa, where the guerrilla movement is thought to have began its uprising in 1996. The security forces said they have seized arms, ammunition, training manuals and food supplies for hundreds of rebel fighters. They say the area under siege is a major Maoist training facility, and that a number of senior leaders were inside when the current battle began. Correspondents say recent fighting will be a boost to the government's hopes of crushing a rebellion which has claimed more than 3,000 lives so far. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|