BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: England
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 7 May, 2002, 09:04 GMT 10:04 UK
Police question baby snatch suspects
Wordsley Hospital, Stourbridge
The baby was taken from Wordsley Hospital
Police are questioning four people over the abduction of a newborn baby from a West Midlands hospital.

The baby girl, now three days old, was returned to its parents on Monday night, seven hours after being taken from the foot of her mother's bed.

Police arrested two women aged 18 and 27, and a 52-year old man, all related to each other, and are questioning them at an undisclosed police station.

A fourth man, aged 73, was arrested later as police continued their investigations.


It is probably every parents' nightmare that occurred to these people

Superintendent Steven Rowell
A West Midlands Police spokesman said: "There are now four people in custody helping with inquiries following the incident yesterday.

"Two women and two men, all from the Dudley area, are currently in custody.

"The family of the returned baby have expressed their gratitude for the public and media's help, but at this stage do not wish to be identified."

Police found the baby at a house in Dudley - about five miles from the hospital - following a tip-off from the public.

Officers said the girl, who is a twin, was found to be in good health and was immediately identified by her parents.

Electronic tagging

The incident began when staff on maternity ward F4 at the Wordsley Hospital in Stourbridge reported the girl missing at 1340 BST.

The abduction was discovered when the 32-year-old mother was woken to look at her daughters.

Superintendent Steven Rowell
Supt Rowell thanked the public and media
A major police hunt was launched, with appeals to the public for information answered within hours.

A new electronic security tagging system is due to be implemented at the hospital in the next few days.

But a spokesman said the hospital was satisfied with the current security arrangements, which involves a buzzer system operated by staff to allow visitors onto the maternity ward.

Superintendent Steven Rowell, of West Midlands Police, said the mother and father had been "remarkably calm" throughout their ordeal and were "overjoyed to be reunited with their little girl".

Investigation

He added: "It is probably every parents' nightmare that occurred to these people, just as they were about to leave the hospital.

"What they must have gone through must have been awful."

He said the baby was "found in good health and had been well cared for", though she was thoroughly checked by paediatricians.

Supt Rowell said the hospital had launched an investigation into how the abduction had happened.

He added: "I would like to thank members of the public and the media for their help and I am grateful for their assistance in this matter."

The police received several leads from information given by the public.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Andrew Burroughs
"The baby was safely returned to the ward"
Patients Association chair, Vanessa Bourne
"The sort of (security) standards you would have in your own home are not employed in a hospital"
Midwife Melanie Every
"Most entrances to maternity wards do in fact have locked doors"
See also:

06 May 02 | England
Missing baby found safe and well
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories