BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 6 May, 2002, 15:04 GMT 16:04 UK
Ethiopia-Eritrean border reopens
Eritrean soldiers
Soldiers on both sides have started returning home
test hello test
By the BBC's Nita Bhalla
Addis Ababa
line

Ethiopia has reopened its borders to United Nations peacekeepers monitoring the ceasefire with Eritrea.


We need clear answers before we remove the ban permanently.

Ethiopian official
Nine days ago, Ethiopia closed the borders to UN personnel, accusing the UN of violating an agreement and taking journalists from Eritrea into Ethiopian-administered areas without prior permission.

The UN mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE) has apologised for the incident.

More than 4,000 peacekeepers are deployed in a 25km buffer zone separating the two countries.

The first UN flight left Addis Ababa on Monday, following intense negotiations between the UNMEE and the Ethiopian Government

Caution

The flight was carrying the head of the UN peacekeeping mission, Legwaila Joseph Legwaila, who has arrived safely in the Eritrean capital, Asmara.

UN peacekeeping force
There are more than 4,000 UN peacekeepers in the region
UNMEE are however treading cautiously. For now they are only planning to send out a few vehicles carrying food, water, oil and fuel from Eritrea to peacekeepers stationed on the Ethiopian side.

And Ethiopia has emphasised that the decision to re-open the border was only temporary.

"We have to requested a number of things from UNMEE and we need clear answers and explanations before we remove the ban permanently," an Ethiopian official said.

"The UN have to prove to us that they are totally neutral and impartial in the manner in which they handle the on-going peace process between Ethiopia and Eritrea".

Grievance

Ethiopia's main request to UNMEE is the removal of the military head of the peacekeeping mission, the Dutch Force Commander, Major-General Patrick Cammaert, whom they accuse of political bias towards Eritrea.

A house in Badme
Both sides claim ownership of the town of Badme
Addis Ababa holds the Force Commander directly responsible for transporting international journalists from the Eritrean capital, Asmara, to the town of Badme, which although in Ethiopian hands - still remains disputed by both countries.

Both Addis Ababa and Asmara claim ownership of the town, which spawned one of the bloodiest conflicts of recent times.

Addis Ababa says by taking journalists from Eritrea to Badme without gaining prior permission, the UN was signalling that Badme is in Eritrea.

'Professionalism'

The UN blockade has restricted the movement and hampered the efforts of the UN peacekeepers.

UNMEE Force Commander Major-General Patrick Cammaert ( UNMEE photograph)
Major-General Cammaert is at the centre of the row
The ban has also jeopardised previously smooth relations between Addis Ababa and the UN peacekeeping mission.

Although the suspension has eased tensions somewhat, the issue of what the UN should do about Major-General Cammaert still need to be resolved.

Diplomatic sources have dismissed the Ethiopian assertions about the Force Commander saying he is known for his "professionalism" and "impartiality".

See also:

03 May 02 | Africa
Ethiopia wants UN peacekeeper out
22 Apr 02 | Africa
Badme: Village in no man's land
29 Apr 02 | Africa
UN caught in Horn border row
24 Apr 02 | Africa
Eritrea begins demobilising
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories