BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 8 May, 2002, 05:46 GMT 06:46 UK
Union debates rail strike settlement
rail graphic
Rail strikes caused misery for thousands of passengers
Rail union bosses met on Wednesday to discuss details of a settlement to end a dispute which has caused misery for thousands of passengers in north Wales.

The row, over disciplinary procedures between the train drivers union Aslef and First North Western, led to three one-day walkouts last month.

Train notice
Unions staged three 24-hour strikes

The union's executive are due to decide whether or not to accept an agreement which would stave off the threat of further strike action.

Part of the proposal involves the setting up of a review body - made up of senior management from the train operators and union representatives.

The new body would review future disciplinary cases and discuss recommendations made from other inquiries which affect the whole industry.

The executive of Aslef have been urged to agree to the proposals.


We are looking to learn from all cases - creating a positive culture within the company

Dave Kaye, Managing Director First North Western

Colin Smith, Aslef regional officer for north Wales, said: "Obviously we are hoping that the dispute can finally be resolved.

"I am hopeful that the executive will approve the plans which we have drawn up.

"I don't think that the dispute should have happened, the initial response from the trade union at the time of the incident is the same as it is now, we have not changed our position at all."

The union staged three 24-hour walkouts at the beginning of April and had threaten further action for Monday 22 April, 29 April and 6 May.

Strikes halted

The strike action was halted ahead of the executive meeting and the train operators are confident the settlement deal will be accepted.

Managing Director of First North Western, Dave Kaye, said: "I am hopeful that the executive can rubber stamp the agreement which has already been made at a local level.

"We are looking to learn from all cases - creating a positive culture within the company."

The dispute focused on a row over disciplinary procedures and the suspension of a driver for alleged safety breaches.

The company claims the driver had passed two red lights and was caught exceeding the track speed limit by 10mph.

The strikes blighted the journey of thousands of passengers and cost First North Western many thousands of pounds in lost revenue.

The train operator carries 8,000 passengers on the north Wales coastal routes every day and operates the biggest train service in north Wales and the north west of England.

Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories