BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 6 May, 2002, 11:12 GMT 12:12 UK
Pearl suspect's plea rejected
Hyderabad Central Jail where the trial will resume on Wednesday
The murder trial has been delayed several times
In Pakistan the Supreme Court rejected an appeal on Thursday by those accused of murdering the American journalist Daniel Pearl, against transferring the trial away from Karachi.

The trial is taking place at an anti-terrorism court in the central prison in the southern city of Hyderabad.

It was moved from Pakistan's largest city Karachi after prosecution lawyers said there were serious security concerns there.

Daniel Pearl, who worked for the "Wall Street Journal" disappeared from Karachi in January, while working on a report on Islamic militants.

A video showing his throat being slit was handed to the American Consulate but his body has never been found.

Security threats

The trial of the four men accused of kidnapping and murdering Daniel Pearl started two weeks ago.

The accused pleaded not guilty.

Daniel Pearl shackled in captivity
Mr Pearl's body has not been found

The first prosecution witnesses included a taxi driver, who said he had seen Mr Pearl get into a car with the main suspect, British-born Omar Sheikh, the day he disappeared.

But the trial has since been held up by petitions from both sides.

The anti-terrorism court was moved to Hyderabad after prosecutors said they had found out about plans to attack Karachi central jail where it had been sitting.

The prosecutors also persuaded the High Court to change the judge because they said the previous one was unable to stop defendants making threatening gestures.

Now defence lawyers are asking the Supreme Court to move the trial back to Karachi.

No extradition

The judge in Hyderabad accepted the trial could not go ahead as some of the defence lawyers were missing.

So, he appointed two lawyers at state expense to represent three of the accused and said that the case would go ahead on Wednesday.

The prosecution still have over 20 witnesses to call, including computer experts from the FBI who examined the e-mail sent to news organisations with photographs of Mr Pearl in captivity.

Pakistan has turned down a request by the United States for the extradition of the four suspects.

President Musharraf said his administration wanted the people of Pakistan to know the government would act strongly against terrorism.

See also:

30 Apr 02 | South Asia
Pearl trial lawyers win new venue
25 Apr 02 | South Asia
Pearl trial lawyers request new judge
24 Apr 02 | South Asia
New evidence in Pearl case hearings
23 Apr 02 | South Asia
Pearl murder trial security fears
19 Apr 02 | South Asia
Pearl trial judge removed
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories