BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 25 April, 2002, 04:56 GMT 05:56 UK
War crimes suspect heads for tribunal
Breaking News
Former Yugoslav army chief of staff General Dragoljub Ojdanic, who is accused of war crimes in Kosovo, has left Belgrade on his way to surrender to the war crimes tribunal in The Hague.

General Ojdanic is on a list of 23 people ordered to surrender last week by the Yugoslav Government.

General Ojdanic commanded the Yugoslav armed forces in Kosovo in 1998 and 1999 during the campaign against Kosovo Albanian insurgents.

He said the army conducted itself there in accordance with the law, the constitution and all international conventions of war.

On the eve of his departure he said it was out of respect for the law that he was now prepared to surrender to The Hague to face charges.

Six of the 23 names on the government's list of suspects wanted by the UN court for war crimes have said they would voluntarily surrender.

General Ojdanic was indicted with former President Slobodan Milosevic, who was extradited against his will last June and is now on trial.

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories