| You are in: UK: England | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 24 April, 2002, 17:21 GMT 18:21 UK
Court rejects US bid to extradite pilot
Lotfi Raissi has always denied any terrorist links
A court in London has rejected a bid by the American Government to extradite a British-based pilot who they say is a suspect in the 11 September investigation.
US officials had accused Algerian-born Lotfi Raissi, 28, from Colnbrook, Berkshire of training some of the hijackers. Mr Raissi has always denied any terrorist links. On Wednesday a district judge at Bow Street Magistrates Court said he had seen no evidence to support allegations of terrorism.
Timothy Workman said: "I discharge the defendant on all eight charges. "Several allegations involving terrorism have been made but I would like to make it clear that I have received no evidence to support that contention." But James Lewis QC, for the US government, said Mr Raissi would "continue to be subject to ongoing investigations into those associated with the 11 September attacks". Mr Raissi was arrested under the Terrorism Act 2000 at his home on 21 September last year. 'No deception' But when no terrorist charges were brought against him after five months in jail, he was freed on bail. But the US Government said he was still a suspect and sought extradition for falsifying an application to the Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) for a US pilot's licence. Mr Raissi had not declared a previous conviction for theft and a knee operation.
The court heard he had been convicted in 1993 of stealing a briefcase and its contents. He was fined £150 and £30 costs at Uxbridge Magistrates Court. Edward Fitzgerald QC, defending, said he was entitled under English law to treat the offence as a spent conviction. "There was no deception because it was as if there were no previous convictions." He said there was no evidence to suggest that if Mr Raissi had declared the conviction that it would have prevented him being granted a licence. Mr Fitzgerald told the court that the knee surgery had not been mentioned in the application for a medical certificate because it had been disclosed in an earlier application for a certificate. 'Sorry farce' Outside court, Mr Raissi's solicitor, Richard Egan, read a statement on behalf of his client. "Mr Raissi has been held for five months on the basis of wholly unsubstantiated allegations before being released on bail. "Not only that but he and his family have had to endure the finger of suspicion being pointed at them. "At the very least one would hope for an apology. "Bearing in mind the length of time this case has already gone on it is absurd to suggest there is still an ongoing investigation into Mr Raissi. "It is time the whole sorry farce came to an end. It is time his absolute innocence was recognised." |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top England stories now:
Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more England stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|