| You are in: UK: England | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 23 April, 2002, 21:33 GMT 22:33 UK
Doctor denies taking baby's organs
Bristol University is defending Professor Peter Fleming
A paediatrician in Bristol has denied claims that he kept parts of a baby's body for life-saving research.
Sally Savage, from Keynsham near Bristol, has told how she discovered her 10-week-old son Harrison had body parts removed after his death 13 years ago. She said she believed they had been used in a study that has since been credited with reducing the number of cot deaths in the UK. But Professor Peter Fleming, who led the research, says that as a paediatrician, he never had the power to ask for body parts to be removed.
The University of Bristol, which employs Professor Fleming, has issued a statement rebutting the recent allegations. It has also called for the claims against him to be publicly withdrawn. The professor's 1980s study in the Avon area relied on information from parents and pathologists. "I personally have never retained organs or tissue of any description," he said on Tuesday. "The study did not include any component that said samples should be taken and retained, over and above those that were taken to establish the medical cause of death. "The fact that organs were retained was a reflection of the standards applying to coroners at that time. "It was completely irrelevant as far as our research was concerned." The professor said he had been hurt by media coverage.
"I have spent 20 years of my life helping bereaved families, talking to them, providing support, caring for them and helping them to understand how and why their babies died," he said. "To have that attacked on the basis of a lack of information is very hurtful." Barry Taylor, a spokesman for the University of Bristol, said: "These false allegations are damaging to Professor Fleming both personally and professionally and should be publicly withdrawn." Mr Taylor added that the professor had been involved since 1980 in providing help and support for families bereaved by the sudden loss of a baby. "Families have repeatedly emphasised the value they place on this service," he said. The National Committee relating to Organ Retention (NACOR) received dozens of calls from parents after Mrs Savage made her claims. Mrs Savage's son, Harrison, died at home and a post-mortem concluded he had died from cot death. But she said she had since discovered that Harrison had been stripped of several organs and body tissue during the post-mortem, and she believed they were used for research without her consent.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top England stories now:
Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more England stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|