BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 23 April, 2002, 11:17 GMT 12:17 UK
Decision due on security cameras
Security forces have been attacked during clashes
Security forces have been attacked during clashes
A decision is due within the next few days on proposals to erect security cameras at sectarian flashpoint areas of north Belfast.

Eighteen closed circuit television cameras are expected to be installed in conjunction with a police initiative to identify those involved in rioting.

However, the Northern Ireland Office would not disclose their exact site.

A spokesperson said the Security Minister, Jane Kennedy, was taking "urgent advice" after receiving a report she had requested from the police.

The NIO said the decision on the cameras would be taken within days.

Fresh trouble

On Monday, north Belfast's police commander announced details of the security plan, adding that a special police team was being set up to identify those involved in recent street disorder.

Chief Superintendent Julie Lindsey said it was difficult to arrest rioters while disturbances were taking place but the police were determined to bring those responsible to justice.

The police made the announcement as there was renewed trouble in the Ardoyne area.

Rival loyalist and nationalist crowds threw ball bearings and stones at each other on the Ardoyne Road.

There were also disturbances on the Crumlin Road near Brompton Park.

The disturbances followed renewed street violence in north Belfast at the weekend when the police were attacked by a mob of about 150 youths as they tried to end sectarian clashes.

'Stirring tensions'

Ardoyne and other community interface areas in north Belfast have been the scene of frequent sectarian street clashes for almost a year.

The police have repeatedly blamed the loyalist paramilitary Ulster Defence Association for orchestrating rioting in the area.

Loyalists, meanwhile, have blamed republican paramilitaries for stirring up sectarian tensions in the area.

Earlier this year, the police published the pictures of people who had been photographed during riots in north Belfast as part of a public appeal for information.

But despite the sustained period of violence and tension, there have been few arrests.

See also:

22 Apr 02 | Northern Ireland
SDLP concern over plastic bullets
22 Apr 02 | Northern Ireland
Sectarian clashes in north Belfast
19 Apr 02 | Northern Ireland
Major clashes in north Belfast
24 Mar 02 | Northern Ireland
Woman injured in blast bomb attack
21 Mar 02 | Northern Ireland
Further tensions in north Belfast
27 Sep 01 | Northern Ireland
Officers injured in Belfast riots
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories