BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 23 April, 2002, 06:36 GMT 07:36 UK
Two charged over Philippine blast
President Arroyo visiting a bomb victim
President Arroyo visited victims on Monday
Police in the Philippines have charged two people over Sunday's bombings in the southern city of General Santos, in which at least 14 people were killed.

Police said the two, named as Bobby Sabilo and Mulikin Adam Ambi, were Muslim militants.

They have been charged with murder, attempted murder and illegal possesion of explosives.

President Gloria Arroyo has ordered tightened security in the city, though officials clarified that an earlier announcement of a state of emergency had no legal effect.

Bereaved mother in General Santos
A woman who lost two children in the blast is comforted
Mrs Arroyo has called the bombings "a crime against the Filipino people".

Police at first alleged that the two suspects were members of a Muslim separatist group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

But a MILF spokesman has denied the charge, while another militant group, the Abu Sayyaf, has said it carried out the bombing.

Other suspects at large

Police allege that witnesses saw the two men place something in a tricycle parked outside a busy shopping centre on Sunday.

Map of Philippines
The tricycle later exploded, killing or wounding dozens of people.

The suspects were arrested in a raid on a house in the city.

Police officers said they found firearms and a hand grenade during the raid.

Police said they were guerrilla group and that they might be connected with the al-Qaeda network.

Several other suspects are still at large, according to the police

Government concern

National police spokesman Senior Superintendent Leonardo Espina told the French news agency AFP that an investigation was underway to see whether the two men were involved in any regional terrorist groups.

He said they were believed to be former Muslim separatist rebels, who had been trained in bomb-making in Malaysia, and were part of a 10-man terrorist cell operating here.

The MILF is the main guerrilla group campaigning for independence for the Muslim minority in the southern Philippines, while the US links Abu Sayyaf with Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.

Hundreds of US soldiers have been sent to the southern Philippines to train the army in its fight against the Abu Sayyaf.

Last Thursday, an Indonesian man, Fathur Rohman Al-Ghozi, pleaded guilty to explosives possession after providing information that led police to a cache of a ton of explosives in General Santos.

In January, police arrested three Filipinos in town on suspicion of links with Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.

Correspondents say it is possible that the blasts are linked to the sentencing of Al-Ghozi to a 12-year prison term.

See also:

20 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
US troops arrive on hostage island
19 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
South-East Asia's terror clampdown
18 Jan 02 | Asia-Pacific
US troops arrive in Basilan
14 Jan 02 | Asia-Pacific
US troops join war on Abu Sayyaf
11 Jun 01 | Asia-Pacific
Analysis: Negotiating with the Abu Sayyaf
01 Jun 01 | Asia-Pacific
Philippine troops battle kidnappers
22 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
Mayor shot dead in northern Philippines
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories