BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 22 April, 2002, 15:02 GMT 16:02 UK
'Detail too graphic to report'
Mandy Power, mother and daughters
Almost three years since the bodies of Mandy Powers, her daughters and elderly mother were found bludgeoned to death in their home, the trial of the man accused of their murders has begun.

The evidence being given at Swansea Crown Court is the result of the biggest investigation ever undertaken by South Wales Police.

On Monday details of the brutal murder of an entire family at their semi-detached home on 27 June 1999, began to emerge.

BBC Wales's Penny Roberts reports on a "harrowing" experience for everyone present.

"There was very tight security around Swansea Crown Court as the 39-year-old defendant David Morris was brought into court this morning.

His mother, father and daughters were in the public gallery. In another part of the court were the brothers-in-law of Mandy Power.

Mandy Power's home was set on fire
Mrs Power's home was set on fire

Her sisters are also in the court precincts although they were not in court to hear the opening of the prosecution case.

It has been very harrowing and very disturbing for everyone concerned today.

There was very graphic detail about the murders - far too graphic to talk about here. Save to say the victims were subjected to the most appalling violence.

Mr Morris, dressed in a dark suit, sat impassively in the dock.

The prosecution said that no one doubted that Mandy Power was a very loving, very caring mother but she had become somewhat of a sexual adventurer.

Alison Lewis
Mandy Power's friend Alison Lewis

The jury was told by the prosecution of her relationship with Alison Lewis - who was originally arrested on suspicion of murder.

The prosecution said the defence would claim that it was Alison Lewis who probably committed the murders.

However, the court was told that that was "a false finger of suspicion" and it was profoundly regretted that that false finger of suspicion had been pointed at her in the first place.

More is likely to be said about that during the trial of Mr Morris - who denies all charges - which is expected to last some months."

See also:

05 Nov 01 | Wales
Clydach suspect denies murders
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories