BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 22 April, 2002, 16:08 GMT 17:08 UK
LA terror suspect fights extradition
Amar Makhlulif (right) with an interpreter at an earlier hearing
Amar Makhlulif (right) faces terrorism charges in the US
Lawyers for an Algerian accused of plotting with Osama Bin Laden to blow up Los Angeles Airport have told a UK court he would be denied justice if extradited.

Amar Makhlulif appeared at high security Belmarsh Magistrates Court in south east London on Monday.

The United States wants the 37-year-old to face trial in America for his alleged involvement in a plot to blow up the airport on the eve of the millennium.

Counsel representing the US Government told the court Mr Makhlulif was one of the leaders of an Algerian terrorist cell.

LA Airport
Los Angeles airport was the alleged target
Mr Makhlulif denies all five terrorism charges brought by the US against him.

The indictment lodged in New York claims Mr Makhlulif was based in Britain from where he organised the cell which trained in terrorist camps in Afghanistan.

'Key recruiter'

The court was told Mr Makhlulif, also known by the surname Doha and as 'The Doctor', had been arrested at London Heathrow Airport boarding a flight to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, in February last year.

He had been carrying a Spanish passport, the court heard.

Ben Emmerson, QC, counsel for Mr Makhlulif, told the court a trial in the US would be a "flagrant denial of justice".

He said witnesses for Mr Makhlulif would be unprepared to give evidence in the US.

The unprecedented level of publicity in the US would also pose "an irrevocable threat of unfairness" in the case, he said.

Afghan camps

Mr Emmerson said the "intolerable conditions" in which Islamic defendants were held in the US and the possible sentence with no prospect of parole amounted to "inhuman and degrading treatment".

But Andrew Colman, for the US, told the court proceedings there would be subject to all the European Convention of Human Rights' constitutional guarantees for a fair trial.

He acknowledged a problem of "prejudice and hysteria" but said the US was particularly well equipped to deal with it by screening jurors.

Witnesses reluctant to travel could give testify by other means, Mr Colman added.

Terrorist campaigns

American court documents allege Mr Makhlulif was a "key recruiter" who met Algerians in Algeria and Europe who were then sent to training camps in Afghanistan in 1998.

They claim he had discussions with Bin Laden about appropriate targets and methods for any terrorist campaigns.

They also allege that he provided false documents to get terrorist cells back out of Afghanistan.

The court was told Mr Makhlulif had also provided money and support.

He is also suspected of sending others to Canada to prepare for the 11 September attacks.

Mr Makhlulif had been implicated to the US authorities by Ahmed Ressam, who had been arrested with a car containing explosives, the court heard.

The district judge hearing the case reserved judgement but said he expected to deliver his decision on 10 May.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Margaret Gilmore
"Lawyers for the USA want to extradite him to the states to face charges"
The BBC's Nick Thatcher at Belmarsh
"Mr Makhulif denies all the charges"
See also:

16 Jan 02 | Americas
Algerian sentenced for LA bomb plot
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories