| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||
|
|
Sunday, 21 April, 2002, 23:03 GMT 00:03 UK
German minister visits Tunisia blast site
Germany believes the blast was a deliberate attack
German Interior Minister Otto Schily has visited the scene of an explosion at a synagogue on the Tunisian island of Djerba.
He laid flowers and observed a two-minute silence in memory of 17 people who died in the 11 April blast at the Ghriba synagogue.
German minsters have said there is evidence that Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network was behind the blast. Eleven German tourists, five Tunisians and a Frenchman were killed in the explosion, which badly damaged part of the synagogue's prayer room. Investigation continues The interior minister toured the synagogue - the oldest in North Africa - accompanied by federal prosecutor Kay Nehm and German security officials.
He declined to comment on the investigation into what happened. "I'm not discussing details in the interest of the success of the investigation," Mr Schily said. "We owe it to the victims of this terrible event that we conduct the investigation with the necessary care." Last week, German police arrested a man in connection with the blast and released him the following day. Al-Qaeda 'claim' rejected Tunisian authorities have said they are investigating the explosion "in all directions".
The Tunisian Government said on Sunday that reports that al-Qaeda had claimed responsibility for the incident were "neither credible nor verifiable". This follows the publication in a London-based Arab newspaper of a letter purporting to be from al-Qaeda, saying it had attacked the synagogue. Tunisian Jewish community leaders have supported the government's view that the blast was accidental. Synagogue president Perez Trabelsi told reporters: I'm still thinking that it was an accident because we have been living together, Jews and Arabs, for centuries in tolerance and mutual respect." The German delegation will discuss the investigation with Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in Tunis on Monday. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||
|
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|