BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Sunday, 21 April, 2002, 07:48 GMT 08:48 UK
Afghan ex-king gives first address
Ex-king Zahir Shah (r) and interim leader Hamid Karzai
The ex-king gave his support to Mr Karzai
test hello test
By Kate Clark
BBC Correspondent in Kabul
line

The former Afghan King Zahir Shah has given his first full statement to the press since his return to Kabul on Thursday.

He told the national news agency that he has no intention of reviving the monarchy and gave his full support to the interim administration and the current leader, Hamid Karzai.

Zahir Shah said returning to Afghanistan after 29 years of exile had been the best moment in his life.

An afghan family watches pictures of Zahir Shah's homecoming on television
The former king's statement led the news
He has shared the sufferings of his compatriots during the last three decades, he said: the war, bloodshed and foreign intervention and what he calls "foul rulers and wrong politics".

He said he now wants to help his people.

But he said he has not come to restore the monarchy and he fully supports the interim administration.

He singled out Mr Karzai, saying he is a patriot, a true Afghan, the son of a martyr and has provided wholesome leadership for Afghanistan.

Karzai boost?

Such praise again raises the question of who will benefit most from the former King's return: Zahir Shah himself or Mr Karzai for being seen to bring this popular figure home?

After two nights when Kabul television has carried very little coverage of the former King's return, his statement led the news, along with film of him having lunch with Mr Karzai and delegates and leaders from across the country.

The controller of Kabul TV has denied that a break in transmission on the day Zahir Shah returned was deliberate.

He said the longest television silence any Afghan could remember was due to technical failure.

See also:

19 Apr 02 | South Asia
Afghan king resting after return
19 Apr 02 | South Asia
Ex-king a sign of better times
18 Apr 02 | South Asia
In pictures: Afghan ex-king returns
17 Apr 02 | South Asia
No ordinary homecoming
18 Apr 02 | South Asia
Kabul joy as ex-king returns
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories