| You are in: World: South Asia | |||||||
|
|
Saturday, 20 April, 2002, 18:48 GMT 19:48 UK
Last Marines arrive in Afghanistan
There are 1,700 Royal Marines in total in Afghanistan
The British fighting force in Afghanistan is complete with the arrival of more than 100 Royal Marines.
A total of nearly 1,700 Royal Marines are now in the country as part of Operation Ptarmigan, charged with destroying Taleban and al-Qaeda bunkers and cave complexes. The last batch arrived at Bagram after nightfall on Saturday and make up the fourth and last fighting company of the 45 Commando deployed to Afghanistan.
Their arrival coincided with reports that leaflets were being dropped in the country inciting the Taleban to re-organise and re-group. Littered leaflets also encouraged Afghans to carry out suicide bombing against international forces. A spokesman for the Royal Marines also announced that they had received 'specific intelligence' information that groups were plotting an assassination attempt on the former king of Afghanistan, Mohammed Zahir Shah. He returned to the country on 18 April after 29 years in exile and Lt Col Paul Harradine said: "There is a threat against the former king. "They could pose as media to get close enough to him to do it." Fighting force The Royal Marines spokesman added that there are "many factions" that would like to kill the former king. The Marines are deployed as part of the Operation Jacana Taskforce in the region, based at Bagram airbase, 60 kilometres (40 miles) north of the capital Kabul. They are to hunt out Taleban and Al-Qaeda forces in the mountains to the south east of Gardez. The area, known as Ginger Valley, was targeted by American troops in Operation Anaconda last month - an offensive in which the US said eight of its own and "hundreds" of the enemy were killed. It is littered with landmines and the debris of war, including the wreckage of a downed American Chinook helicopter. Earlier this week the UK Government denied claims that UK forces could still be in Afghanistan in 10 years' time.
Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon told the BBC he could not put a time limit on the British role in the peacekeeping force in Kabul, but it was not "long term". He also rejected reports the Royal Marines working alongside US forces in flushing out al-Qaeda suspects were primarily there to act as a deterrent and not to fight. But Mr Hoon said the British peacekeepers would only be there for "a limited period", although a reduced number would stay beyond June, when Turkey takes over Britain's leadership.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||
|
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|