| You are in: World: Africa | ||||
|
|
Saturday, 20 April, 2002, 05:38 GMT 06:38 UK
Concerns over Angolan disarmament
There is concern in Angola that the process of demobilising former Unita rebels under the terms of a ceasefire accord signed earlier this month could be running into trouble because it is behind schedule. The United Nations says 9,000 Unita rebels have been disarmed as part of the accord ending Angola's 26-year civil war. But in some areas demobilisation centres have yet to be established, leaving former combatants with nowhere to go. A BBC correspondent in Angola says this has raised fears that unless urgent steps are taken, the Unita fighters may lose faith in the disarmament process and find other uses for their weapons. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||
|
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|