| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | |||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Thursday, 4 April, 2002, 10:19 GMT 11:19 UK
E Timor trial hears key witness
Over 1,000 people died in the violence
The Indonesian army was given a "mission impossible" in East Timor, its former military commander told a Jakarta court on Thursday.
General Wiranto, giving evidence to a landmark human rights trial, said the army had to stop violence between pro- and anti-independence groups ahead of the 1999 referendum, even though the same groups had been at loggerheads for 23 years.
He was giving evidence in the trial of East Timor's former police chief, Brigadier-General Timbul Silaen, who is charged with crimes against humanity for failing to control pro-Jakarta militias, who are thought to have killed more than 1,000 people, often with the authorities' backing. "After 23 years of conflict between pro-integration groups (with Indonesia) and those against integration, in one month we had to unite them and to consider pro-independence groups as brothers and sisters," Wiranto told the court.
He said his troops did a good job in ensuring the ballot itself went smoothly. He also claimed that unspecified foreign governments complimented him on the fact that none of the 4,000 foreigners involved in the process was harmed.
In total 18 government officials and members of the security forces are due to stand trial for crimes against humanity committed in East Timor three years ago. Amongst them are three generals, the former provincial governor and leaders of the militia gangs. Some human rights groups say General Wiranto should be in the dock instead of the witness box, alleging he was also responsible for not stopping the violence. The trial began last month, but was delayed by a constitutional challenge. The first defendant to appear was the former governor of the territory, Abilio Soares, who was accused of being responsible for massive human rights violations carried out by his subordinates and for failing to take proper action to stop the killing. He also faced charges of being behind the anti-independence militias which are widely believed to have been responsible for much of the violence. On Thursday, the judges ruled that Mr Soares' trial should proceed, despite defence arguments that the process was illegal The prosecution is focusing on several specific attacks both before and after the UN-sponsored referendum, including massacres at two churches and at the home of Dili Bishop Carlos Ximenes Belo. Correspondents say the international community will watch these trials closely to see if justice really is done or whether the verdicts are manipulated to protect senior officers. The key issue is whether the government of President Megawati Sukarnoputri has the political will to administer justice. If not, demands for an international tribunal could be revived.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|