| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Wednesday, 3 April, 2002, 14:13 GMT 15:13 UK
Cash appeal issued for Afghan army
Donors have pledged billions in humanitarian aid
An international appeal has been issued for hundreds of millions of dollars to help rebuild Afghanistan's army and police force.
British combat forces have meanwhile started arriving at Bagram airbase, just outside Kabul. The 110 Royal Marine commandos will act as the vanguard of a total force of 1,700 commandos, Royal Engineers and support personnel, said the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD).
The BBC's Pam O'Toole says donors have pledged billions of dollars worth of humanitarian and reconstruction aid to Afghanistan, but they have been less enthusiastic about fulfilling promises to help the country rebuild its security forces. Mr Brahimi estimated that several hundred million dollars would be needed over the next two to three years to help the interim government build an army of 100,000, together with a police force and a border guard service capable of keeping law and order. "The task before this army is to defend its country, its people, and its religion. I assure the people of Afghanistan, that this national army will work in defence of their rights and their security," the leader of the Afghan interim Government, Hamid Karzai said, as he was watching a graduation ceremony of the first 600 troops of the new Afghan army. 'Dangers remain' "The peace process depends on the resolution of the security situation. Therefore, giving money to the security sector is both vital, indispensable and urgent," he said.
The situation in the western town of Herat was "reasonably good", and a curfew had been lifted in Kandahar. "But dangers are still there, especially with the Loya Jirga coming ...We are a little bit concerned and would like the international community to pay more attention to this," he said. Afghanistan's former King, Mohammad Zaher Shah, is due to return to Kabul to open the Loya Jirga - a traditional leadership council that is expected to choose a new transitional government. Isaf command Turkish General Akin Zorlu is to take over command of Isaf despite his government's reservations about the mission.
The BBC's Jonny Dymond in Istanbul, says Turkey was persuaded somewhat unwillingly to accept leadership of the force. He says politicians and the public are concerned about the possibility of being caught up in an expensive operation that places its army at risk as its Nato allies leave. But Turkey will receive over $200m in return for leading Isaf.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|