| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 2 April, 2002, 14:49 GMT 15:49 UK
Police accused of 'unncessary force'
The video was shown at a press conference
Allegations that the police used heavy-handed tactics to clear nationalists from a north Belfast street following disturbances have been made by Sinn Fein.
The party's assembly member for the area, Gerry Kelly, said unnecessary force was used after sectarian clashes in North Queen Street on Monday. He was speaking at a press conference on Tuesday where a video was shown. Mr Kelly said copies would be sent to the Police Ombudsman and to the United States.
He said it was the latest example of security force attacks on nationalists in the city. "If this was any other country in the world this would be a scandal of massive proportions," he said. The assembly member said the video was filmed by a resident as police moved in to separate Protestants and Catholics fighting in the North Queen Street area. Mr Kelly added: "The video will be posted to the police ombudsman. "It will also be given to the Irish government, the British Government and to America. "People need to see what nationalists in north Belfast are going through." A PSNI spokeswoman said: "Any complaints made should be addressed to the Police Ombudsman."
There were disturbances across north Belfast at the weekend. Police and the army came under petrol bomb and pipe bomb attack after clashes between rival groups on Monday in the Limestone Road area. A hijacked lorry was set on fire but there were no reports of injuries. On Sunday night, a pipe bomb was thrown during disturbances in the area. Up to 100 nationalists and loyalists began hurling stones at each other, before police moved in to separate them. Petrol bombs On Sunday, several soldiers and police officers were injured in clashes. Rival loyalist and nationalist groups clashed in the North Queen Street/New Lodge areas on Saturday after reports that houses in the Duncairn Gardens area had been stoned. Officers moved in to separate the gangs but the security forces then came under attack. The police said more than 40 petrol bombs were thrown at them. One person was arrested. Flashpoint areas of north Belfast have frequently erupted into sectarian trouble in recent months, with clashes on almost a daily basis.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|