BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 2 April, 2002, 12:39 GMT 13:39 UK
Bed blocking case fall welcomed
Hospital ward
Bed blocking costs the NHS thousands
The number of cases of so-called bed-blocking in Scotland has fallen slightly according to fresh figures.

The statistics reveal that there were 3,116 patients ready for discharge in January, compared with 3,138 last October.

However, compared with January of last year, the figures show an increase of nearly 10%.

Health Minister Malcolm Chisholm said the slight fall in current cases showed the "green shoots" of improvement.

Malcolm Chisholm
Malcolm Chisholm: "Green shoots"
He added: "But we still have some way to go before we can begin to consistently reverse these trends.

"As I said last month, I expect to see the concerted action we are now taking through our £20m delayed discharge Action Plan start to deliver real and measurable outcomes from now on.

"Creating 1,000 extra care packages will be a substantial first step in that process."

But the Scottish National Party's Nicola Sturgeon and the Tories Mary Scanlon used the publication of the new figures to criticise the executive's record on bed blocking.

In many cases recorded, the delays were caused by elderly patients being ready for discharge but with no place to go.

Tailor-made

Lack of public funding for nursing home places was said to be the main reason for 420, or 20%, of the delayed cases, while a further 377, or 18%, were said to be awaiting non-NHS funded places becoming available.


Bed blocking is already running at a much higher rate in Scotland than in the rest of the UK and these figures show that Labour's only impact has been to make the problem significantly worse

Nicola Sturgeon
SNP
At the beginning of March, Mr Chisholm announced his £20m drive to combat bed-blocking.

The 1,000 extra "care packages" amounted to tailor-made individual arrangements for care home places or other measures.

But Ms Sturgeon said: "Bed blocking has jumped by almost 10% in the last year alone, with over 3,000 patients now trapped in beds while ready for discharge.

"Bed blocking is already running at a much higher rate in Scotland than in the rest of the UK and these figures show that Labour's only impact has been to make the problem significantly worse."

Mary Scanlon
Mary Scanlon: "Little improvement"
Ms Sturgeon said the executive had repeatedly promised to tackle the problem but accused ministers of refusing to address "the core problem" faced by the NHS such as a lack of beds.

And Ms Scanlon said it was incredibly disappointing that "precious little improvement had been shown".

She added: "Malcolm Chisholm heralds a 5% reduction in those waiting over six weeks - but he fails to point out that year on year 155 more patients languish longer than six weeks.

"The only solution the executive has come up with is to throw money at the problem, without reforming the system.

"This is tantamount to throwing tax-payers money away as it is patently obvious that money alone is not enough."

See also:

05 Mar 02 | Scotland
'Hit squads' to target bed blocking
01 Mar 02 | Scotland
Deal in care home fees row
28 Jan 02 | Scotland
Deadline set to end care row
25 Jan 02 | Scotland
Bed blocking talks break down
14 Jan 02 | Scotland
Bed blocking on the increase
09 Jan 02 | Scotland
McConnell targets 'key' areas
07 Aug 01 | Scotland
Care dispute beds warning
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories