| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 2 April, 2002, 12:15 GMT 13:15 UK
Minister condemns 'damaging' 11-plus
Review of test was published by Burns group
Education in Northern Ireland cannot continue with a system of academic selection and rejection, according to the Education Minister Martin McGuinness.
The Sinn Fein minister reinforced his opposition to the current transfer test system during a speech to the Irish National Teachers Organisation's national congress on Tuesday. Speaking in Limerick in the Republic of Ireland, Mr McGuinness said the controversial 11-plus system was damaging to children in the province. The exam is a selection test for children in primary seven and determines to which type of school they will transfer.
"I cannot and will not accept an education system which makes children physically sick with nerves, which makes children feel stupid or which determines the future of children on the basis of two hours of their life," said the minister. "No society has the right to tell any child at age 10 or 11 that he or she is a failure." Mr McGuinness is currently urging support for the Burns Review of Post Primary Education which has recommended that the 11-plus be abolished. The 300-page report by the Post Primary Review body, which was published last October, suggested the transfer test be scrapped within two years. Mr McGuinness said there was a "clear need" for change. "The 11-plus is a symptom of the present system which is academic selection and academic rejection.
"That is what the debate must be about and I welcome the growing concentration on this key issue in public discussions." Mr McGuinness also quoted the views of children who have gone through the 11-plus. He referred to three testimonies in a Save the Children report in which one child talked about having trouble sleeping the night before the exam and waking up to realise he or she was sleepwalking. A second claimed he or she was stupid because the exam had condemned him or her to go to secondary school. A third said children were being judged on the basis of two hours of their lives.
Consultation
Last week, the two main teachers' unions in Northern Ireland gave their overwhelming support to the Burns review. The Irish National Teachers Organisation (INTO) and the Ulster Teachers' Union (UTU) are among the few bodies which have come out in favour of the proposals. A consultation pack containing a video, information on the Burns proposals and details of how to respond to the consultation was sent to all schools last week. Copies are also being sent to further education colleges, community groups and training groups over the next week. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|