BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 2 April, 2002, 09:16 GMT 10:16 UK
Nepal exams under security cordon
Victim of Kathmandu bombing
Recent bomb attacks have heightened fears
Heavy security is in place across Nepal for the beginning of nation-wide school exams involving a quarter of a million students.

Maoist graffiti
Maoists are protesting at the state of emergency
Thousands of security personnel have been deployed cross the country to ensure that the examinations are conducted peacefully.

Although fears of violence had subsided after the Maoist rebels called off a five-day general strike scheduled to begin today, the authorities said that they are not taking any chances.

The rebels are fighting to replace the constitutional monarchy with a communist republic.

So far, some 3,000 people have died in six years of fighting.

Strike protest

The decision to call off the strike came after widespread pressure on the rebels not to disrupt the school exams.


Considering the future of the students and requests from the intellectual community, guardians and friendly political forces, our party has decided to postpone the general strike

Rebel statement
Earlier, the Maoist rebels had threatened to disrupt the exams with a general strike which they had called to protest at the four-month-old state of emergency and the military operation against them.

The intensification of rebel attacks on government installations, including power stations, telephone towers and village council buildings, and a number of bomb explosions ahead of the strike, had increased the sense of fear among ordinary people.

However, the BBC's Sushil Sharma in Kathmandu says that this fear subsided considerably after the rebels were forced to defer the strike to a later date, although an air of uneasiness still persists.

Human rights charge

Meanwhile, the national human rights commission has accused the Maoist rebels of committing serious human rights abuses.

In its first annual report, the commission said that its appeal to stop the violence and killings has had no impact on the rebels.

The commission said that the government had also been responsible for abuses.

It complained that the government did not fully co-operate with the commission.

A state of emergency and military operation have been in place since last November to crush the Maoist rebels whom the authorities say are terrorists.

See also:

01 Apr 02 | South Asia
Maoist rebels call off Nepal strike
29 Mar 02 | South Asia
Bomb blasts rock Nepalese capital
27 Mar 02 | South Asia
Nepal press freedoms under fire
25 Feb 02 | Country profiles
Country profile: Nepal
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories