| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Tuesday, 2 April, 2002, 16:38 GMT 17:38 UK
Rwandan genocide suspect snubs trial
Some 800,000 Rwandans were killed in three months
A former Rwandan colonel accused of masterminding the massacre of hundreds of thousands of people in 1994 has boycotted the start of his trial.
Colonel Theoneste Bagosora refused to leave his cell and demanded access to key legal documents. His three co-defendants also boycotted the court.
Prosecutors at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) say Colonel Bagosora helped plan the slaughter of 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus. The 61-year-old pleads not guilty to all 12 charges he faces, including genocide and conspiracy to commit genocide, in the court in Arusha, in northern Tanzania. The prosecution believes the case - the first to bring a top military figure before the tribunal - could shed some light on how the Rwandan leadership plotted the killings.
'Principle perpetrators' In her opening statement, the tribunal's chief prosecutor, Carla Del Ponte, said: "Some of the charges brought against these men are frightening ... others reveal the plan organised and implemented in cold blood."
Colonel Bagosora's lawyers said his absence from the court was in protest at the prosecution's failure to provide translations of crucial documents or a list of witnesses. But the prosecution said that the defence team had failed to read documents properly. "To come to court and start pointing fingers was wrong," said prosecutor Chile Eboe-Osuji. 'Apocalypse' The prosecution says Colonel Bagosora played a key role in plotting to exterminate the Tutsis and moderate Hutus, and that he also set up the Interahamwe - gangs of Hutu extremists who carried out much of the slaughter. The indictment alleges that he set out to "prepare the apocalypse" three years before the killings began. His defence says there is no hard evidence to link him to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Rwandans. Colonel Bagosora has been in custody since 1996, when he was arrested in Cameroon. He is being charged along with three other military officers, also accused of genocide. Mystery Between April and June 1994, an estimated 800,000 Rwandans were killed in the space of 100 days. Most of the dead were Tutsis - and most of those who perpetrated the violence were Hutus.
Prosecutors allege Colonel Bagosora assumed control of military and political affairs in Rwanda following the crash. Analysts say defence lawyers of the four accused are likely to demand an investigation into the crash, arguing that Tutsi rebels - not Hutu extremists - triggered the genocide by shooting the plane down. The ICTR has so far convicted eight genocide suspects, including former Rwandan Prime Minister Jean Kambanda, and acquitted one. Colonel Bagosora's trial is expected to last two years and hear testimony from hundreds of witnesses. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|