BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 1 April, 2002, 13:04 GMT 14:04 UK
HK immigrants fight deportation
A mainland Chinese migrant takes a rest outside the immigration office
The ruling means families will be separated
Thousands of mainland Chinese migrants are vowing to stay in Hong Kong, despite a deadline passing for them to leave.

They were given until midnight (1800 GMT) on Sunday to leave and the Hong Kong authorities have confirmed they will now start deporting them.


They can arrest me if they want

Ko Chin-sheng, whose daughter is defying the deadline
The migrants were born in mainland China and have spent years trying to win the right of abode with their parents in the territory.

About 800 people gathered outside government immigration offices on Monday to protest against the deadline, following an all-night rally in a central park.

Hundreds of Chinese migrants and their supporters stage a candlelit vigil at Hong Kong's Chater Garden Park, 31 March 2002
Thousands of migrants have overstayed their visitor visas
"This is a government without conscience," said 51-year-old Ko Chin-sheng, who is fighting for his 18-year-old daughter to stay in Hong Kong.

Mr Ko, his wife and three other daughters have residency rights, but Ko Lai-sha is excluded.

"Hong Kong is my home and my daughter has to stay here," Mr Ko told reporters. "They can arrest me if they want. I won't let her go."

Legal defeat

Hong Kong's deputy Secretary for Security Michael Wong said letters were being sent to up to 200 people a day, demanding they report to the authorities to be repatriated.

Relative of potential deportee
This woman's 16-year-old daughter must leave
He said any who do not turn up will be considered abscondees and will be subject to removal.

There would be no negotiations, he said, adding that the only people allowed stays to deportation would be those with cases pending before the courts.

Our correspondent Damian Grammaticas says 4,300 children born to Hong Kong residents are now facing deportation.

Some are as young as six-years-old, though many are teenagers or older.

Among those told to leave are one of a pair of twin girls and a 70-year-old man who lives in Hong Kong caring for his 90-year-old father.

For the past five years, the families have been waging a legal battle to stay together, saying their children should have the right of abode with them. The deadline was set after migrants lost a final legal case earlier this year.

The abode-seekers are particularly bitter because they were initially granted the right to live with their parents three years ago.

But Hong Kong's authorities, with the help of the central government in Beijing, removed those rights, citing the need to limit immigration to the territory.

See also:

10 Jan 02 | Asia-Pacific
In Pictures: HK migrants lose appeal
10 Jan 02 | Asia-Pacific
HK immigrants lose right to stay
12 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
HK leader says freedom is safe
02 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Families face Hong Kong uncertainty
19 Oct 00 | Asia-Pacific
Chinese stowaways nabbed in HK
31 Dec 97 | Events of the year
Hong Kong handed over to China
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories