BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Sunday, 31 March, 2002, 09:14 GMT 10:14 UK
Al-Qaeda suspects may be force-fed
Workmen at the site of the new permanent facility on Guantanamo
Work is under way to build a permanent prison
The United States plans to force-feed two inmates at its detention camp for suspected Islamic militants at Guantanamo Bay naval base in Cuba.

A military spokesman said the two would be fed intravenously on Sunday if they continued to refuse food.


We'll do everything we can to help them because that's a priority for us, the humane treatment of the detainees - and that includes preserving their lives

Major James Bell
US military spokesman
The two men, who have been receiving hospital treatment for several days, appear to be protesting at the uncertainty of their future at Camp X-ray.

The detention centre houses 300 men detained by the US since the 11 September attacks in its war against terrorism.

Major James Bell said the authorities' chief concern was the two men's welfare.

"We're hoping that they're considering the importance of their lives," he said.

"We'll do everything we can to help them because that's a priority for us, the humane treatment of the detainees - and that includes preserving their lives."

The two men are described by US military officials as the most "hardcore" of the 300 detainees, who are all suspected of links to either the international Islamic militant group al-Qaeda or Afghanistan's ousted Taleban regime.

Since the start of their hospital treatment, the two have been receiving liquids intravenously.

'Against the Koran'

The hunger-strikers are believed to be protesting at their unclear status.

The detainees were nearly all captured in Afghanistan, but they are not regarded as prisoners-of-war by Washington and have yet to face trial.


A prisoner is moved by two Camp X-Ray guards
The US says the inmates are highly dangerous
  • Buckets for toilets
  • Thin foam mattresses
  • Beards shaved

    Clickable guide: Inside Camp X-Ray

  • Major Bell said the hunger strike was not motivated by any religious consideration, but was "an individual choice".

    He said the camp's Muslim chaplain had tried to dissuade them from pursuing it on Saturday.

    "I tell them that this is wrong," said the chaplain, Navy Lieutenant Abuhena Saiful-Islam.

    "The Koran says that you should not do anything to harm your own body."

    According to Major Bell, every other detainee ate breakfast on Saturday, although 45 had been refusing meals as recently as Thursday.

    He pointed out that the two who said they were still fasting might have had food passed to them by other detainees.

    "We don't have a 100% method of confirming whether or not an individual has eaten."

     WATCH/LISTEN
     ON THIS STORY
    The BBC's Tom Carver
    "The number of detainees on hunger strike has doubled"
    US Programme at Human Rights Watch's Jamie Fellner
    "We should be focusing on why they are on hunger strike"
    American University's Professor Paul Williams
    "This is the beginning of a very dangerous situation"
    See also:

    27 Feb 02 | Americas
    Camp X-ray: The legal options
    12 Feb 02 | Americas
    UN speaks out on Afghan detainees
    Internet links:


    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


    E-mail this story to a friend

    Links to more Americas stories