| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Saturday, 30 March, 2002, 20:10 GMT
Bush tells Arafat to stop militants
Israeli troops and tanks poured into Ramallah
US President George Bush has urged the besieged Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat, to do more to stop attacks on Israelis by militants.
"I believe Chairman Arafat can do a lot more to prevent attacks," Mr Bush said, in his first comments on the crisis since Israeli troops stormed Mr Arafat's compound in Ramallah on Friday.
"He needs to stand up and condemn in Arabic these attacks," Mr Bush said, after making a flurry of phone calls to world leaders to discuss the crisis. Speaking from his Texas ranch, Mr Bush said he had been assured by the Israeli Government that Mr Arafat "won't be harmed". Referring to Mr Arafat's security apparatus, Mr Bush said "they have got to do a much better job of preventing people from coming into Israel to blow up innocent people". While acknowledging Israel's need to defend itself, he also urged the Israeli Government to "make sure that there is a path to peace". Plea for regional efforts Leaders in the region must do more to help fight terrorism, Mr Bush said.
He said he was pleased that Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah had "spoken out so forcefully for normalisation". Earlier this week Arab leaders backed a peace plan put forward by the crown prince. Mr Bush has asked the US special envoy Anthony Zinni to stay in the region to continue his efforts to broker a ceasefire. UN resolution The United States on Saturday joined other UN Security Council members in approving a resolution urging Israel to withdraw from Palestinian cities. It was the second time in a month that Washington - a staunch ally of Israel - had supported UN action on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, having for years vetoed any proposal critical of Israel.
On 12 March, the Security Council approved a resolution submitted by Washington which called for separate Israeli and Palestinian states in the region, as well as an immediate ceasefire. Israel's assault on Yasser Arafat's headquarters in Ramallah on Friday prompted the Security Council to hold an emergency debate, which continued through the night. UN Resolution 1402 - proposed by Norway - was approved on Saturday by 14 votes to 0 after the marathon session. The resolution
In a rare disagreement with the United States, Israel's ambassador to the UN, Yehuda Lancry, criticised the resolution, saying it was not strong enough in condemning Palestinian suicide bombings. Speaking after the vote, he said Israeli troops would not withdraw from Ramallah, where they have trapped the Palestinian leader inside his shell-blasted headquarters. Syria boycotted the vote, arguing that the resolution failed to condemn Israeli attacks, while mentioning suicide bombings against Israelis. But Palestinians cautiously welcomed the resolution. "The resolution is positive on condition that it is immediately applied by the Israeli Government," said Palestinian Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|