BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 30 March, 2002, 18:59 GMT
Parade due in flashpoint area
An Easter commemoration parade has taken place in a flashpoint area of north Belfast.

Restrictions have been placed on the route of the parade in the Whitewell and Bawnmore areas of the city amid fears of public disorder.

Sectarian violence has flared in parts of north Belfast in recent months, with frequent clashes between Catholics and Protestants.


The route for which the organiser has applied is contentious in part

Parades Commission

Last Monday, the Parades Commission ruled that the parade should not take its notified route along Serpentine Gardens.

It would instead proceed from the Whitewell Road into Whitewell Crescent, Serpentine Road, Vandyck Gardens and back into Whitewell Road.

The Parades Commission said the proposed route had included interface areas at Serpentine Gardens and the junction of the Whitewell Road and Shore Road.

"The commission understands that this part of Belfast has recently been subject to increased sectarian violence and unrest, which has placed a considerable strain on community relations in the Whitewell area," it said.

"The route for which the organiser has applied is contentious in part, as it includes Serpentine Gardens and the junction of the Whitewell Road and Shore Road.

"The commission has cause to believe that should the parade process its entire notified route, there will be an adverse effect on community relations and potential for public disorder."

Opposition

Meanwhile, the commission has barred a loyal order Easter Monday parade from the nationalist lower Ormeau area of Belfast.

The commission ruled that the contentious annual parade by the Protestant Apprentice Boys of Derry would not be allowed to cross the Ormeau Bridge from the upper part of the Ormeau Road into the mainly Catholic lower Ormeau area.

The decision last Monday evening followed opposition from nationalist residents from the lower Ormeau area.

Last year, the commission gave permission for the parade to go ahead along the contentious route, but it was called off because of the foot-and-mouth disease restrictions.

The Northern Ireland Parades Commission was set up in 1997 to make decisions on whether controversial parades should be restricted.

See also:

25 Mar 02 | Northern Ireland
Marching to the beat of optimism
21 Jan 02 | Northern Ireland
Call for permanent police patrols
11 Jan 02 | Northern Ireland
Petrol bombs thrown as rioters clash
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories