BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 30 March, 2002, 09:39 GMT
HK families defy deportation order
Family members of the abode seekers protesting
Abode seekers have been given until Sunday to leave
test hello test
By Damien Grammaticas
BBC Hong Kong correspondent
line

Hundreds of families in Hong Kong have vowed to continue their fight to prevent their children from being deported to mainland China.

Several thousand children in the territory have been denied the legal right of abode with their parents and have been told they must return to the mainland.

Deadline looms
7,000 people told they cannot stay
Government says 4,500 have applied for papers to leave
Of these, 1,600 had left by Thursday
Hong Kong's government has set a deadline for the children to leave voluntarily by Sunday, or it will forcibly expel them.

Now, after years of legal battles, the deadline to end what has become known as the right of abode saga is looming.

Earlier this year, 7,000 children lost their final legal appeal to be allowed to live with their parents in the territory.

The government has given them until 31 March to leave their families and homes and return to China. After that, they will be deported.

But in a meeting, about 2,000 families have vowed to defy the order and fight on.

Chinese woman reading the court ruling
The ruling allows 200 people to stay
Their lawyers are trying to lodge last-minute claims for legal aid and damages against the authorities to stave off the deportations.

Some families are still staging hunger strikes. The government has called on them to remain calm and leave the territory.

But over 2,000 children have now returned to China, although many more say they will not go.

Some are young children who have nowhere to live in mainland China. Others say they should be allowed to stay in Hong Kong to care for elderly and sick parents in the territory.

The abode seekers are particularly bitter because they were initially granted the right to live with their parents three years ago.

But Hong Kong's authorities, with the help of the central government in Beijing, removed those rights citing the need to limit immigration to the territory.

It looks increasingly likely that the families will be split apart.

See also:

10 Jan 02 | Asia-Pacific
In Pictures: HK migrants lose appeal
10 Jan 02 | Asia-Pacific
HK immigrants lose right to stay
12 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
HK leader says freedom is safe
02 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Families face Hong Kong uncertainty
19 Oct 00 | Asia-Pacific
Chinese stowaways nabbed in HK
10 Dec 01 | Country profiles
Country profile: China
31 Dec 97 | Events of the year
Hong Kong handed over to China
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories