| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Thursday, 3 January, 2002, 19:29 GMT
Israel stages West Bank pull-out
Mr Zinni's return follows a lull in violence
Israel has begun withdrawing troops from areas of the West Bank, as United States special envoy Anthony Zinni begins a fresh attempt to kick start long-stalled peace talks.
Forces had been pulled out of Jenin, Hebron and part of Ramallah.
In separate operations overnight, Israeli troops seized five suspected Palestinian militants. Four alleged Islamic Jihad activists were arrested in Hebron, along with another, believed to be a member of Hamas, in the nearby village of Kufr Roman. International efforts Mr Zinni met with Israeli security officials soon after his arrival on Thursday afternoon. He is due to discuss a number of issues with Palestinian and Israeli officials, including establishing a sustainable ceasefire, and the full implementation of the US-backed Mitchell peace plan, US officials said. Mr Zinni is scheduled to meet Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat on Friday. The former US general has called for a joint security meeting between Israel and the Palestinians to be held on Sunday, Israel army radio reported. He will return to Washington early next week to report to the Secretary of State, Colin Powell. The European Union foreign policy chief, Javier Solana, is due to arrive in Israel on Sunday, to coordinate with Mr Zinni and to build on his efforts, EU diplomats said. Security measures A number of Palestinian towns in the West Bank have been occupied for several weeks following a wave of attacks against Israel. The Israeli army said that a partial occupation of Jenin had ended and the Atira district of Ramallah had also been evacuated.
The withdrawal follows a two-week period of relative calm. However, Mr Sharon has reiterated a demand for a complete seven-day cessation of violence before any ceasefire deal will be considered. The Palestinians want an immediate implementation of the peace process, arguing that Israel's demands mean a single militant could block the peace effort. A US State Department spokesman declined to endorse Mr Sharon's demand for a week of total calm, but spoke of pressing Mr Arafat to dismantle "terrorist cells". Soaring violence General Zinni began his mission to the region in November and December, but he was recalled to Washington amid some of the worst violence of the 15-month intifada.
Since a string of suicide bombings against Israeli targets in December, the Palestinian leader has ordered a halt to all armed operations against Israelis and moved against militant groups. He has closed down offices, made arrests and shut down workshops making mortars. Palestinian hope Mr Arafat has welcomed the initiative as an opportunity to resume efforts to find peace with Israel. "We hope that Zinni's visit will go in the right direction so that we can put things back on track," Mr Arafat said. But BBC correspondents say a four-day visit may be too short to enable General Zinni to resolve differences over the Mitchell plan and get an agreed timetable for its much-delayed implementation.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|