BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 2 January, 2002, 13:39 GMT
Israel renews ceasefire demand
Israeli tanks in Nablus
Israeli tanks still surround Palestinian cities
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has reiterated his demand for seven days free from violence before it considers a ceasefire deal with the Palestinians.


If calm continues for the next two or three days it would be a very good time to start the implementation of the Tenet (ceasefire) plan

Shimon Peres
Israeli Foreign Minister
And he made it clear the relative quiet of the last two weeks is not good enough.

The move came on the eve of a new peace mission by American envoy, General Anthony Zinni.

Mr Sharon also suggested that Israel might ease its blockade of the Palestinian territories.

Anthony Zinni
General Zinni will tell Arafat the arrests of militants is "encouraging"
General Zinni is expected to press both Israel and the Palestinians to implement a ceasefire plan when he returns to the Middle East on Thursday.

These set out a series of steps designed to lead first to a formal ceasefire and later, through confidence-building measures, to the resumption of peace talks.

General Zinni is only expected to stay for only four days.

BBC correspondents say a four-day visit may be too short to enable General Zinni to resolve differences over the Mitchell plan and get an agreed timetable for its much-delayed implementation.

But Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has welcomed his return as an opportunity to resume efforts to find peace with Israel.

"We hope that Zinni's visit will go in the right direction so that we can put things back on track," Mr Arafat said.

Army checkpoints

General Zinni left the Middle East on 16 December last year after a three-week stay marred by a wave of Palestinian suicide bomb attacks inside Israel, leading to a series of intense Israeli reprisal strikes.

Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres has questioned Mr Sharon's insistence on seven consecutive days of calm before implementing a formal ceasefire, Israel radio reported.

Arafat has called for an end to attacks against Israel

Mr Sharon, however, has repeatedly said Mr Arafat is not doing enough and has ruled out resuming peace talks until all violence ceases.

Israeli public radio on Wednesday reported the easing of the internal closure of Palestinian cities in the West Bank and Gaza Strip and the reduction of the number of Israeli army checkpoints to allow for the freer movement of Palestinian vehicles.

It said however that Israeli security officials had reported "numerous threats of attacks" and stressed that "the Palestinian Authority is still not working hard enough to dismantle the infrastructure of terrorist organisations".

See also:

31 Dec 01 | Middle East
Anger over Gaza killings
30 Dec 01 | Middle East
Israel sees peace hope
29 Dec 01 | Middle East
Palestinians urge return of US envoy
15 Dec 01 | Middle East
US recalls Mid-East envoy
15 Dec 01 | Middle East
US blocks Mid-East observers
28 Nov 01 | Middle East
US Mid-East envoy calls for change
29 Nov 01 | key documents
The Mitchell report
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories