BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Business
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Market Data 
Economy 
Companies 
E-Commerce 
Your Money 
Business Basics 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 2 January, 2002, 11:07 GMT
Company boss bans show record rise
Competition and consumer affairs minister Melanie Johnson
Competition minister Melanie Johnson gets tough on crooked bosses
The number of people banned from running businesses surged by nearly a quarter in the past six months, official figures have shown.

A total of 935 company bosses were banned between March and September 2001, 24% up on the previous six-month period, the Department of Trade & Industry said.

The increase is due to the introduction last year of fast-track procedures allowing the DTI to disqualify company directors without going to court.

"Dodgy directors tarnish the image of the vast majority of legitimate businesses and often leave debts and misery in their wake," said Competition Minister Melanie Johnson.

"These figures should serve as a warning - we will not let you get away with it."

15-year ban

Disqualification orders are aimed at preventing corrupt company bosses from setting up new businesses as soon as their dishonest practices are exposed.

Crooked bosses can be banned for up to 15 years.

The construction and demolition sector had the highest number of directors disqualified in the six months to September 2001, accounting for 103 of the total.

The high-tech computer services industry was ranked second in the dishonesty league with 75 suspensions, closely followed by the textile and clothing sector with 73.

London and south-east England accounted for 35% of the most recent disqualification orders, followed by the north of England with 20%.

Fifty-seven percent of the latest banning orders were served under the new fast-track procedures, which allow dishonest directors to avoid expensive legal fees by agreeing to be disqualified.

See also:

06 Jul 99 | The Company File
New bankruptcy proposals criticised
05 Feb 99 | The Economy
Bankruptcies jump as economy falters
02 Feb 01 | Business
Bitter autumn for insolvencies
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Business stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Business stories