BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 2 January, 2002, 15:34 GMT
Man stabbed after confronting group
A car was damaged in the incident
A car was damaged in the incident
A 43-year-old man is in a stable condition in hospital after being stabbed in north Belfast.

The Catholic father of five was attacked after he confronted several men, believed to be loyalists, who were damaging a car.

The car was outside the man's house at Newington Street near the Limestone Road area in the city.

He also had cuts to his shoulder and hand after he was beaten about the head and body.


The guy is lucky he wasn't killed

Neighbour

The attackers ran off after a neighbour arrived at the scene.

Another neighbour, who did not want to be identified, said the victim was bleeding heavily.

He said: "His head was wide open and local people were literally just holding his head together as the blood was pouring out of it.

"He was drifting in and out of consciousness and the guy is lucky he wasn't killed.

"People are justifiably angry at what's going on but they're terrified.

"As far as anyone can see, these people aren't going to be happy until we're carrying bodies out of this area."

Investigation

The man was taken to the city's Mater hospital where his condition is described as "stable".

Police investigating the stabbing have appealed for any witnesses to contact them.

Sinn Fein councillor Gerard Brophy blamed the largest loyalist paramilitary group, the Ulster Defence Association, of being behind the attack.

He said: "It was a well-orchestrated attempted murder once again by the UDA.

However, a loyalist community worker, Eddie McClean, said he did not believe the incident had been sectarian.

He said he believed car thieves were responsible.

Police patrols

Meanwhile, the police said there would be more patrols in the Limestone area, following calls from local community representatives.

North Belfast commander Roger Maxwell said the level of policing in the Limestone Road and throughout north Belfast was constantly under review.

He also called on politicians and community leaders to work together to stamp out sectarian clashes.

"The problems of the Limestone Road are community issues and we would call upon elected representatives and other people of influence in the area to sit down and thrash out these particularly difficult issues," he said.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC NI's Conor Macauley reports
"A number of people came out of houses to chase intruders"
See also:

22 Dec 01 | Northern Ireland
North Belfast 'needs higher security'
12 Nov 01 | Northern Ireland
Teenager dies in Belfast riots
10 Dec 01 | Northern Ireland
Moves to defuse riot tension
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories