| You are in: UK: England | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 1 January, 2002, 13:53 GMT
Travellers to leave coastal resort
Bournemouth is home to thousands of summer visitors
Hundreds of travellers who arrived at a south coast holiday resort before Christmas are preparing to leave the town.
Police said about 750 travellers who arrived in Bournemouth on 24 December, were due to leave Kings' Park in Boscombe on Tuesday, or Wednesday at the latest. If they do not leave, Bournemouth Borough Council will ask for an eviction order from the local County Court on Wednesday morning. Stephen Godsall, council director of leisure and tourism, told BBC News Online: "This has been one of the biggest-ever gatherings of travellers in the town.
"It has affected residents who have been unable to park their cars, and local businesses who have had access problems. "There has also been damage to a number of football pitches, with caravans driving round and round on them, which will make the playing surface unusable for the rest of the season." In summer 2001 there were a number of encampments in the town, with travellers moving from one park to another before hitting the road again. But Mr Godsall said: "I do not think this latest incident has had any adverse affect on the image of Bournemouth or on local tourism." Dorset Police said there were about 150 caravans and 750 travellers in the town - they are thought to come from Eire but are now living in the West Midlands. Congestion fears A spokesman said there had been a few public order and driving problems, but that "policing in Bournemouth and in the area of Kings Park has been enhanced". Since the travellers arrived, it has been at the discretion of businesses, including pubs and clubs, whether they open or close.
Local residents have complained about feeling intimidated, and the council says it is to spend £60,000 protecting Bournemouth's open spaces. It was thought there could have been traffic chaos caused by the caravans and football fans arriving for Bournemouth's New Year clash with Cambridge United, but the fixture was called off due to bad weather.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top England stories now:
Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more England stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|