| You are in: World: Africa | |||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Tuesday, 1 January, 2002, 16:32 GMT
Zambian judge blocks election result
Opposition protests are gaining momentum
A High Court judge in Zambia has barred
the government from declaring a winner in the presidential election until he can rule on an
opposition appeal.
Judge Peter Chitengi made the ruling on Tuesday after being forced to abandon the Supreme Court in Lusaka because of violent protests outside. Demonstrators and opposition groups are calling for fresh presidential elections, claiming last week's poll was rigged.
"No action whatsoever should take place before my ruling on this matter tomorrow at 08.30 (0630 GMT)," he said. "This a very important case. It is urgent and it is of national importance." Opposition politician Robert Sichinga told Reuters that three members of his United Party for National Development had been seriously wounded when police fired at protesters. The police were not available for comment. With most of the votes counted, ruling MMD Party candidate Levy Mwanawasa - the chosen successor of outgoing President Frederic Chiluba - has extended his narrow lead over the opposition representative, Anderson Mazoka. Observers from the European Union said there had been reports of discrepancies in the counting process which should be investigated before a new president is inaugurated. 'Evidence of fraud' Reuters news agency said armed police fired tear gas and cordoned off the residence of Mr Chiluba, as well as the Supreme Court. But demonstrators, chanting "we want change", vowed to stay put until a fresh ballot was called.
"We shall not stir. We will definitely win the battle," Nevers Mumba of the National Citizens Coalition told the cheering crowd. The vice-president of the opposition Forum for Democracy and Development (FDD), Edith Nawakwi, said there could be trouble if opposition demands were not met. "We have so far restrained many of them from becoming violent, but we cannot guarantee that we can keep doing it unless justice is done," she said outside the Supreme Court. According to the Zambian constitution, a presidential winner can be challenged up to 14 days after becoming head of state.
Last May, Mr Tembo led massive street protests to force President Chiluba to abandon his bid for a third term. Mr Mwanawasa has accused the opposition of acting irresponsibly by not waiting for the final results. The chairman of the Coalition 2001 alliance of local monitors, Ngande Mwanajiti, said several incidents suggested that vote-rigging had taken place. The election was Zambia's third since the country gained independence from Britain in 1964.
|
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|