BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 31 December, 2001, 12:21 GMT
Battle against farm disease almost won
Carcass burial site
Nearly four million animals were slaughtered
All but one of the remaining areas of Britain affected by the foot-and-mouth epidemic are to be declared disease free at the start of the New Year.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is set to announce that animals in Cumbria, County Durham and North Yorkshire are no longer infected.

Northumberland will be the only area still waiting for disease-free status, which will not be granted until Monday at the earliest.

The decision was expected after blood test results were passed to Chief Veterinary Officer Jim Scudamore.

Welfare

Since the first outbreak in Essex in February, 2,030 cases have led to the culling of 3.9 million animals and the slaughter of a further two million for welfare reasons.


Farmers in the area say they are advising the younger generation not to follow them

Tim Collins MP
The last case was in Cumbria on 30 September and government vets have worked through the weekend to process tests from the four "at risk" counties.

A spokeswoman for the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said a "massive effort" had been put in to complete the tests.

Relaxed restrictions

"The three months guideline is just one element of all this.

"Each region has its own peculiarities and the Chief Veterinary Officer has to take a view on each case."

If disease-free status is achieved, the next step for many in the farming community will be the relaxation of restrictions imposed at the start of the outbreak.

This is expected in the worst-hit areas by mid-February, and will involve the re-opening of cattle markets and the general licensing of animal movements.

'Devastating impact'

But some in the farming and livestock market communities are upset that the 20-day standstill requirement will remain in place.

This prevents the movement of all animals off a premises for 20 days after those animals susceptible to the disease arrive.

Tory MP Tim Collins, who represents Westmorland and Lonsdale in south Cumbria, said the retention of the rule would have a "devastating impact on livestock farmers".

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "There are really strong continuing problems.

"More than two-thirds of farmers in the area say they are advising the younger generation not to follow them."

Animal exports

Mr Collins also maintained the continuing impact on tourism had not been fully appreciated by the government.

Exports of most animal products are allowed from parts of the country declared disease-free.

This will extend to the four remaining "at risk" areas as and when the status is lifted.

Only live exports of pigs are currently allowed, and then from counties which have never had the disease.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have already been declared disease free.

See also:

28 Dec 01 | Review of 2001
F&M: The rural nemesis
28 Dec 01 | Business
Farmers sow seeds of enterprise
29 Nov 01 | England
Final area loses infected status
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories