| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Monday, 31 December, 2001, 05:33 GMT
New fires threaten Sydney
Huge forest fires encircle the city
Australia's emergency services battling bush fires near Sydney have spotted 20 new fires, adding to the more than 100 already burning.
The fires were caused by lightning strikes in the north-east and as yet pose no threat to property, an official said.
They are working around the clock to build buffer zones against the bush fires which have been raging in New South Wales state since Christmas Day. The city remains under a thick blanket of smoke, with many people, particularly children and the elderly, suffering breathing difficulties.
The BBC's Red Harrison in Sydney says fire-fighters feared the worst over the weekend, given forecasts of high winds and soaring temperatures. But a freak change in the weather spared them the predicted inferno.
Click here for a map of the fires threatening Sydney
Fires are burning to the north, south and west of the city, which is being defended by 15,000 fire-fighters - the largest such force ever deployed in the state.
Weather forecasters say there is little chance of rain this week.
The state's premier, Bob Carr, says the fire danger is the worst in 30 years.
Small towns near Sydney have been placed on evacuation alert while flames have been reported less than 25 km (15 miles) from the city centre.
The city itself is enveloped in thick, strong-smelling smoke and its famous beaches are blackened by ash and burnt leaves.
Visibility in the worst-affected areas along the city's south-west boundary and in the Blue Mountains national park 80 km west of Sydney is down to 100 metres.
Pollution levels are the worst on record, forcing airlines to divert to other cities and causing breathing problems among elderly people, children and people with asthma.
Medical authorities are warning anyone at risk from the smoke to remain indoors.
Arson threat
Australian officials say that at least five new fires south of Sydney were started deliberately and police suspect arsonists were behind nearly half of all the fires currently
burning.
A total fire ban has been declared across New South Wales, with traditional Australian Christmas barbecues now on hold. The authorities in Sydney were determined to press ahead with New Year firework displays but fire officials in the state said they were considering banning hundreds of others. Lasting damage Insurers put the bill so far from fire damage at about A$50 million (US$25.52m) - slightly less than the claims that resulted from Sydney's 1994 bush fires. More than 4,400 people have been evacuated and at least 150 homes and thousands of hectares of forest and farmland have been ravaged by the fires. Animal welfare spokesmen say tens of thousands of Australia's native animals - kangaroos, wallabies and koalas - are likely to have been killed in the bush and national parks. About 60% of the Royal National Park - the world's second-oldest national park after Yellowstone in the United States - has been burned. It was feared initially that 80% had been affected. Wildlife officials say it could take two years for the environment to regenerate.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|