| You are in: UK | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 31 December, 2001, 00:40 GMT
Railtrack dismisses 'accident' warning
Railtrack says many safety changes have been made since Hatfield
Railtrack has dismissed suggestions in a leaked report that shoddy track repairs and poorly-maintained trains could lead to further major accidents.
The study says safety has been compromised by a "systematic failure" in maintenance work and inspections that are often inadequate.
Part of the problem lies with "inexperienced" maintenance contractors and a lack of access to the railways, claims the report by Ove Arup and American engineering company Transportation Technology Center, Inc (TTCI). The rail company denied that services were threatened by safety concerns, but acknowledged that Britain's rail industry was "not as good as it should be". It argued that the research was completed in April and the main recommendations are already being implemented. Railtrack commissioned the report after the Hatfield crash in October last year. Four people died when a GNER Express derailed on the London to Leeds line because of tiny surface cracks on the rail. 'Spend millions' The report calls for greater cooperation between Railtrack and train companies to reduce cracking, which occurs when worn-out wheels run on badly laid track. The industry must spend millions on new inspection and maintenance procedures, it says. "Every system on the railway has been pushed to its limit of capability and, at times, beyond," the report says. "It is not surprising that the system has fallen prey to the vulnerabilities inherent, but controlled, in most other operating railways." Recovery programme Bob Smallwood, Deputy Chief Inspector of the railways, says the report's findings are "very worrying". He says train companies need to ensure their rolling stock isn't harming the rails. But Railtrack says track is already being lubricated at corners to prevent damage and grinding machines are being used to reduce cracking. And the past year's multi-million pound rail recovery programme has removed hundreds of faults across the network, according to the company. Transport minister John Spellar said the report had completed a "rigorous investigation" of the network following the Hatfield disaster.
"Action is in hand and the report acknowledges the significant positive efforts already made by Railtrack, the train operators and the rest of the industry. "This follows the biggest single audit of safety of the network post-Hatfield." Mr Spellar blamed the problems of the railway on its "flawed" privatisation under the Tories and said that the £60 billion of public and private spending set out in last year's 10-year transport plan would lead to improvements. He added: "Everyone recognises this will take time, but we are determined to get it right and for the travelling public to get the service they deserve." 'Mismanagement' But shadow transport secretary Theresa May said the report must be "of concern to us all". "By his mismanagement, (Transport Secretary) Stephen Byers called a halt to the improvements put in place and has created instability and uncertainty. "He needs to clarify the criteria for choosing the company to replace Railtrack, to set out clear rules for the individual regulator and the Strategic Rail Authority and to give the private sector certainty that is essential to get the investment needed in our railways." Responding to a private poll which put transport at the bottom of the list of any public service in terms of customer dissatisfaction, the Railtrack spokesman said: "We as an industry acknowledge that our performance is not as good as it should be." Punctuality While everyone wants to arrive on time, 50% of delays are from Railtrack and 50% due to train operators, he said. "We have spent 35% more this year than previous years. We hope to do even more in the future to make our trains more punctual." In his New Year message to the nation, Prime Minister Tony Blair says the government is committed to an investment in transport of £180bn over 10 years and "a new, simpler, less bureaucratic system" to replace Railtrack that would put the travelling public first.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|