BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Sunday, 30 December, 2001, 19:30 GMT
Deal on Afghan peace force close
A British soldier in a landrover with Northern Alliance troops in Kabul
UK troops and Afghan police are mounting joint patrols
An agreement on the deployment of an international peacekeeping force in Afghanistan is close to being signed.

But a last-minute hitch prevented the deal being approved on Sunday.

The UK Ministry of Defence said a key document still had to be translated.

Earlier, a UK forces spokesman in Kabul said that if the deal was not initialled it would simply be because a meeting could not be arranged between the two men due to clinch it - the Afghan Defence Minister, General Mohammed Fahim, and the man who is to lead the international force, Major-General John McColl.

Afghan Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah
Mr Abdullah said foreign troops would work alongside Afghans
An advance force of British troops has already arrived in the war-ravaged country as part of an International Security Assistance Force authorised by the UN Security Council.

The military-technical agreement will define the force's precise tasks.

The talks have been lengthy, partly because of Afghan sensitivities about having foreign troops in the country at all. General Fahim, in particular, has been unhappy about the idea.

But the BBC's Ian Macwilliam in Kabul says there is almost unanimous support for the force among Kabul residents.

UK in vanguard

The first British peacekeepers arrived in the country to provide security for the 22 December inauguration of the new administration.


We expect something to be signed in the next 24 to 48 hours

UK Ministry of Defence spokeswoman
The deal will pave the way for a second contingent of troops to arrive within a week.

The international security presence is planned to help stabilise Afghanistan as the interim government, which replaced the defeated Taleban regime, begins to rebuild the country after 22 years of war.

The Afghan Foreign Minister, Dr Abdullah Abdullah, had earlier said the agreement on deployment was ready.

He said the security force would work alongside Afghan troops, and its members would be allowed to use force to defend themselves in accordance with rules set by the UN.

But he gave no details regarding the number of troops agreed - previous estimates have been in the 3,000 to 5,000 range.

Peace hopes

Kabul residents hope the international force will prevent the country degenerating into the bloodbath of warring factions they saw in the 1990s, our correspondent says.

Mr Abdullah also said that US bombing raids against targets in Afghanistan should be allowed to continue "as long as terrorist cells are in Afghanistan".

Some members of his administration have called for a halt to the bombings because of concerns about civilian casualties.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Daniel Sandford reports from Kabul
"They are keen to get the detail right "
See also:

28 Dec 01 | South Asia
Bush says Afghan mission goes on
20 Dec 01 | South Asia
Afghan security force's role unclear
20 Dec 01 | South Asia
Optimism over peacekeeping force
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories