| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Sunday, 30 December, 2001, 02:17 GMT
Sydney ready to stand the heat
Officials say the fire-fighting effort is unprecedented
Australia has mustered 15,000 fire-fighters to defend Sydney against the forest fires raging in New South Wales.
The authorities fear that Sunday will be their most challenging day so far in the fight against 100 or more blazes, which have devastated large parts of the state since Christmas Day. The state's premier, Bob Carr, says the fire danger is the worst in 30 years, and fire authorities are urging people to remain calm because the destruction of more property appears inevitable.
Authorities say the conditions are ideal for sudden and unstoppable new outbreaks of fire.
Click here for a map of the fires threatening Sydney
Small towns south of Sydney have been placed on evacuation alert.
Flames have been reported less than 25 km (15 miles) from Sydney's city centre.
Visibility in the worst-affected areas along the city's south-west boundary and in the Blue Mountains national park 80 km west of Sydney is down to 100 metres. In some areas, where fire has destroyed electricity lines, fire-fighters are having trouble getting water. People with swimming pools are being asked to hang a coloured towel or pillowcase on their homes to signal that water tankers can be refilled there. Wildlife devastated More than 4,400 people have been evacuated and at least 150 homes and thousands of hectares of forest and farmland have been ravaged by the fires. Animal welfare spokesmen say tens of thousands of Australia's native animals - kangaroos, wallabies and koalas - are likely to have been killed in the bush and national parks.
Wildlife officials say it could take two years for the environment to regenerate. Arrests The fire-fighters have been racing against time to create firebreaks. "We've been trying to get buffer zones in so that we're able to protect the homes as best as possible," Fire Services spokesman John Winter said on Saturday. Officials said some of the fires were started deliberately - three 15-year-old boys and three men have been arrested for allegedly starting a number of fires. A total fire ban has been declared across New South Wales and the maximum penalty for those caught lighting fires is 14 years in prison. Mr Carr has said the penalty may be increased. Insurers say the damage bill from the fires will exceed the A$56m (US $29m) cost of the 1994 bush fires when four people were killed and 185 homes were destroyed around Sydney.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|