BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 29 December, 2001, 17:28 GMT
Bus strike ends after talks
Bus stops on Donegall Square West
Buses and passengers were absent from Belfast city centre on Friday
Most Citybus services in Belfast have returned to normal on Saturday after a two day strike by drivers.

The drivers have accepted proposals drawn up between management and union representatives following negotiations.

The dispute centred on financial support for drivers who had been assaulted or threatened.

One of the proposals was the setting up of a task force to review how drivers are dealt with after an assault.

Ciaran Rogan:
Ciaran Rogan: Task force to be set up
Translink spokesman Ciaran Rogan said: "The task force has to take a complete look at how drivers are brought back into work after an attack."

'Angry'

Driver Sean Smith, who has been attacked five times in the past 18 months, said his colleagues were angry at the way the company was treating men like him.

"As part of my rehabilitation I had to go and see a counsellor about getting treated for stress and trauma.

"I was to go to the counsellor on 4 December at 10.30 in the morning.

"I needed off my bus for one hour to go and the company's response was 'we're paying for your treatment so you can go in your own time."

Union leaders said, despite major inconvenience during one of the busiest shopping periods in the year, the public had been largely supportive.

Drivers on Ulsterbus routes along the Falls and Lisburn Roads joined the dispute on Friday which disrupted services to the Twinbrook and Poleglass estates on the outskirts of the city.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC NI's Martin Anderson reports
"The proposals include improved financial support for injured drivers"
See also:

27 Dec 01 | Northern Ireland
Signs of hope in bus dispute
06 Dec 01 | Northern Ireland
Axed bus services reintroduced
13 Dec 01 | Northern Ireland
Bus services rerouted after attacks
21 Nov 01 | Northern Ireland
Report critical of transport services
14 Nov 01 | Northern Ireland
Bus service cut following attack
28 Dec 01 | Northern Ireland
Proposals could end bus strike
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories