BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 29 December, 2001, 03:53 GMT
Sydney braces for surge in wildfires
Australian forest fire
The fires are just 15 miles from the city centre
Fire-fighters in the Australian state of New South Wales are bracing for a new wave of forest fires as temperatures continue to soar.

More than 100 bush fires have been raging across the state for the last week and dry winds are fanning the flames further.


We have to say that the containment lines that have been established - it's uncertain how well they will hold

Fire Services spokesman John Winter
National parks have been closed and it is estimated that thousands of wild animals have died or been injured, but rangers say it is too dangerous to attempt to save them.

Hundreds of fire-fighters from other states are being rushed to the state capital, Sydney, with flames now less than 25 km (15 miles) from the city's centre.

The authorities hope to have 15,000 emergency workers in place around Sydney's outskirts to stop fires spreading.

The fire-fighters are racing against time to create firebreaks before Sunday when temperatures are forecast to hit 39-40C, coupled with strong southerly winds.

Click here for a map of the fires threatening Sydney

"We have to say that the containment lines that have been established, it's uncertain how well they will hold once the weather deteriorates, particularly into tomorrow," Fire Services spokesman John Winter said.

The flames are now less than 25 km (15 miles) from the centre of the New South Wales state capital, Sydney.

Authorities have asked residents in inner Sydney to use water sparingly to ensure fire-fighters have sufficient water pressure to fight the infernos.

Burnt gum leaves on a Sydney beach
Debris covers Sydney's famous beaches

Helicopters have been dropping water on the flames, stopping to fill up in back yards and swimming pools.

The fires have left Sydney covered in a dense blanket of smoke, its famous beaches blackened by ash and burnt leaves.

NSW Emergency Services Minister Bob Debus urged calm and said crews were well prepared.

"We're going to have to be on the highest conceivable state of alert, but we are actually well planned and it's important therefore for everybody to remain calm."

Residents warned

Rural Fire Services Commissioner Phil Koperberg urged people living near forests to stay alert, saying they should cover their hands and heads and stay indoors.

Almost 80% of the Royal National Park, the world's second-oldest national park after Yellowstone in the United States, has been burned.


I watched my house disintegrate

Peter Philbrook, Warrimoo resident

The park just south of Sydney was devastated when serious bush fires last hit in 1994.

National Parks and Wildlife Service director-General Brian Gilligan said "people should stay out of the parks and let nature take its course."

Wildlife officials say it could take two years for the environment to regenerate.

Arson attacks

So far no deaths have been reported, but more than 4,400 people have been evacuated and at least 150 homes and thousands of hectares of forest and farmland have been ravaged by the fires.

"I watched my house disintegrate," said Peter Philbrook, who lost everything in a firestorm in the tiny town of Warrimoo on Sydney's western outskirts.

A man looks at the remains of his burnt house
About 150 homes have been destroyed

Officials said some of the fires were started deliberately - three 15-year-old boys and two men have been arrested for allegedly starting a number of fires.

A total fire ban has been declared across New South Wales and the maximum penalty for those caught lighting fires is 14 years in prison.

This might be increased, the state's premier, Bob Carr, said.

"We must look carefully at law enforcement, given that many of these fires appear to have been started by incendiarists," The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper quoted him as saying.

Authorities say the cost of the damage is at least A$20m ($10.15m).



Click here to return

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Michael Peschardt
"It has been a non-stop battle"
Fire station commander Michael Anderson
"These could be the worst fires in the history of new South Wales"
See also:

27 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
In pictures: Battling the bush fires
25 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
In pictures: Christmas goes up in smoke
28 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
Strike force to fight Australian arson
27 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
Hunt for Australia arsonists
27 Jan 01 | Asia-Pacific
Australia swelters in heatwave
13 Aug 00 | Americas
Overseas experts boost fire effort
11 Jul 00 | Europe
Fighting forest fires
03 Jan 98 | Asia-Pacific
Thousands evacuated as bush fires rage
29 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
Inside the arsonists' minds
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories