| You are in: World: Americas | ||||||
|
|
Friday, 28 December, 2001, 22:32 GMT
Argentine 'angel of death' re-arrested
Astiz boasted of killing babies and children
An ex-navy captain has been arrested in Argentina in connection with the disappearance of a Swedish national who went missing at the time of the Argentine military dictatorship.
Alfredo Astiz, known by the media as the Blond Angel of Death, is also wanted in several other European countries for alleged human rights abuses.
Mr Astiz' arrest comes days after the new Argentine Government said it would lift a ban imposed last week by its predecessor on the extradition of alleged human rights abusers. Earlier this year, the former frigate captain was arrested at the request of Italian authorities and charged with the kidnapping and torture of three Italians. He was set free a month later because the then government of Fernando de la Rua decided Mr Astiz could not be tried abroad for crimes committed in his home country. He was re-arrested on Friday after Sweden filed an extradition request over the kidnapping and disappearance in Argentina of a Swedish national, Dagmar Hagelin, in 1977. Mass killings Human rights groups say up to 30,000 people were killed in the so-called 'dirty war' against opponents of the military regime in Argentina, 9,000 of whom have never been found.
Mr Astiz belonged to a death squad from the Navy School of Mechanics and has freely admitted to taking part in killings. The former captain has shown little remorse, telling a magazine he was "the best-trained man in Argentina to kill journalists and politicians". "I'm not sorry for anything," the Argentine magazine Trespuntos quoted him as saying in 1998. Amnesty Many of the regime's top leaders were tried and sent to prison, but were pardoned by President Carlos Menem after he came to power in 1989. Now, the new Justice Secretary, Alberto Zuppi, has said that his administration will help bring about trials of Argentine nationals accused of crimes against foreigners during the military period. Human rights groups are hoping that this signals a major change in policy. However, the interim government will probably only be in power for 90 days, and the change may not last.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Americas stories now:
Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||
|
Links to more Americas stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|