BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Health
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Background Briefings 
Medical notes 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 28 December, 2001, 14:36 GMT
Long waits 'will continue'
Hospital
No patient is supposed to wait more than 15 months
Ministers' target of ensuring that by next March no NHS patient will wait more than 15 months for treatment will not be met, say the Tories.

Shadow health secretary Dr Liam Fox said health authority figures have revealed that thousands of patients are currently waiting longer than 15 months for treatment.

The figures, compiled by the Tories, show that West Surrey Health Authority came out worst with 534 patients - or 3.6% of the total - having to wait more than 15 months.

Next worse was West Sussex with 500 patients (2.7%).

Most patients waiting more than 15 months
West Surrey: 534 (3.6%)
West Sussex: 500 (2.7%)
Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham: 406 (2.6%)
Avon: 400 (1.9%)
East Sussex, Brighton and Hove: 373 (2.1%)
Hertfordshire: 342 (1.6%)
Norfolk: 306 (1.7%)
Bedfordshire: 295 (2.9%)
Salford and Trafford: 250 (1.9%)
Southampton and South West Hampshire: 247 (1.8%)
Dr Fox said: "These figures prove how difficult it will be for Labour to meet their March 2002 target for a maximum wait of 15 months.

"Given the National Audit Office's report into waiting list fiddles to meet the 18-month target can we not expect more of the same in order to meet their target?"

Bully tatics

He said Labour had adopted a "bullying culture" which forced NHS staff to "put political whims above patient care".

A Department of Health spokesman said waiting lists over 15 months had reduced by more than a third over the past year.

"The NHS should actually be congratulated for making significant progress towards meeting the targets set out in the NHS Plan to reduce waiting times."

He said the number of patients waiting more than 12 months had reduced 18%, while 70% of patients were treated within three months.

The spokesman added: "We know there are challenges ahead. The solution is to couple the record investment going into the health service with major reform."

Last week, the Prime Minister was accused of placing systematic pressure on NHS staff to "fiddle" waiting lists in a bid to meet tough Whitehall targets, following the NAO report.

Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith said Tony Blair's "culture of deceit" had pressurised doctors and hospital managers into manipulating figures.

See also:

26 Jul 01 | UK Politics
Ministers savaged over waiting lists
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Health stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Health stories