BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 28 December, 2001, 14:15 GMT
Bus strike set to continue
Citybus
Bus drivers are angry over policy on attacks
Union leaders representing Citybus drivers say they have rejected proposals put by Translink management to end an unofficial strike in Belfast.

Shop stewards said the drivers had met on Friday and believed the company was not doing enough to support their colleagues who have been assaulted and threatened in recent attacks.

They said they had put their own proposals to management and that strike action would continue while they waited for a response.

It is the second day of inconvenience for passengers, but union leaders said the public had been largely supportive.


We are trying our hardest to get the buses running again and to get the shoppers in to do their new year's shopping

Craig Potts

Shop steward Craig Potts said: "We don't want to force the situation onto the passengers because actually passengers pay our wages.

"We hope they understand that the drivers are very angry over certain issues within the company.

"We are trying our hardest as a trade union to get this action finalised to get the buses running again and to get the shoppers in to do their new year's shopping."

Drivers staged a walkout on Thursday, saying they were unhappy with the way Translink had handled recent attacks on staff and their vehicles.

Ciaran Rogan of Translink, the company that runs Citybus, said the dispute had spread to include some Ulsterbus services using the Falls Road in the west of the city and the Lisburn Road in south Belfast.

Ciaran Rogan:
Ciaran Rogan: Confident issues can be sorted out

Services to Twinbrook and Poleglass on the outskirts of the city have also been disrupted.

Mr Rogan said it was in everyone's interest that the strike was ended as quickly as possible.

He added it had caused severe disruption on one of the busiest shopping days of the year and that another meeting between unions and management was planned for later on Friday.

The Chairman of the Transport and General Workers Union, John Coffey, said the drivers action was borne out of frustration.

He said: "There are certain issues and incidents by which the drivers feel they were let down by the company due to lack of compassion.

"And we will have to get that on track."

Bus services in some parts of the city were rerouted earlier this month after two drivers were robbed at knife point.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC NI's Yvette Shapiro reports:
"It is the second day of inconvenience for passengers, but union leaders said the public had been largely supportive"
See also:

27 Dec 01 | Northern Ireland
Signs of hope in bus dispute
06 Dec 01 | Northern Ireland
Axed bus services reintroduced
13 Dec 01 | Northern Ireland
Bus services rerouted after attacks
21 Nov 01 | Northern Ireland
Report critical of transport services
14 Nov 01 | Northern Ireland
Bus service cut following attack
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories