BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 28 December, 2001, 07:30 GMT
Refugee camp boss 'must resign'
French police watch asylum seekers at Channel Tunnel
More riot police have been drafted in for the New Year
British MPs have called for the deputy director of the French Red Cross refugee camp at Sangatte to resign, after hundreds of asylum seekers attempted to storm the Channel Tunnel.

Michel Meriaux has refused to tighten security at the camp despite admitting he knew the asylum seekers were assembling in the camp on Christmas Day.


He must have known that they were putting themselves in danger but yet he did nothing

Former shadow home secretary Ann Widdecombe
Four refugees were jailed for four months on Thursday in France for breaking down barriers in the failed attempt to cross through the tunnel.

Eurotunnel has now drafted in 500 extra French riot police for the New Year period, amid concern that there will be a further attempt to storm the barriers.

Mr Meriaux denied knowing in advance the group was going to attempt to enter the tunnel and said it was not up to him to warn the authorities.

Police used tear gas to disperse the asylum seekers after they breached security at the tunnel entrance.

'Determined'

Eurotunnel has called for the Sangatte camp to be closed, saying it is "powerless" to deal with refugees' persistent attempts to cross into the UK.

Former UK shadow home secretary Ann Widdecombe said Mr Meriaux's position was "untenable".

"These people were in his care. He must have known that they were putting themselves in danger but yet he did nothing," she said.

Mr Meriaux said staff phoned him to say camp residents had assembled- 150 gathering at 9pm and another 400 after midnight on 25 December.

Recent tunnel breaches
25 Dec: 150 caught inside tunnel; 400 trying to get in
6 Nov: 74 found hiding on trains in Dover
30 Oct: 154 arrested in Calais freight terminal
2 Sep: 100 caught in Coquelles compound
31 Aug: 80 caught in Coquelles compound
30 Aug: 44 held after walking miles into tunnel
He said he did not have any duty to inform Eurotunnel of this as his organisation was not concerned with what took place outside the compound.

He said the closure of the camp would not disperse would-be migrants from the areas around the tunnel and port departure points.

'Mission impossible'

Mr Meriaux has been defended by the French Red Cross, following his interview on BBC Radio 4's The World At One.

It said: "The interview was carried out in French - as Mr Meriaux does not speak English - and he has stated categorically that he was misreported, and that he did not know anything about the incident in advance."

But the BBC maintains its report is accurate and Mr Meriaux's interview can be heard on this website.

Mr Meriaux described the attempts as a "publicity stunt," saying it was "mission impossible" to cross the 34 kilometre-long tunnel on foot.

Trains were stopped for 10 hours after French riot police, aided by British officers, broke up the crowd of asylum seekers, arresting 129 of them and transferring others to Sangatte.

The BBC's Nick Thatcher told Radio 4's Today programme there had been no reports of any disturbances at the tunnel entrance on Boxing Day.

But extra police had been called in because of fears further attempts to breach security would be made on New Year's Eve.

The four refugees jailed and fined under fast track procedures were Reza Mohamad, a 20-year-old Afghan, and Kurdish Iraqis Ismail Tapol, 19, Ahmad Rachid, 21, and Aomid Kakabira, 21.

All four denied the accusations against them.

Some 39 others are to face trial in the coming weeks.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Nick Thatcher
"It could well happen again on New Year's Eve"
Sangatte camp deputy director Michel Meriaux
"I am only concerned with what happens in the camp - we are not running a detention centre"
See also:

26 Dec 01 | Europe
New calls to close Sangatte
22 Nov 01 | England
Call for troops to stop stowaways
15 Nov 01 | UK Politics
UK could join refugee quota scheme
29 Oct 01 | UK Politics
Asylum seekers to get ID cards
13 Sep 01 | Europe
France denies second refugee camp
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories