BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 28 December, 2001, 05:54 GMT
Japan analyses mystery boat bodies
Japanese officials unload the body of a crewman from the mystery ship
Bodies of two of the 15 crew have been found
Japanese officials have begun analysing two bodies and debris recovered from a mysterious ship that sank after a confrontation with Japanese patrol boats on Saturday.

The two dead men were among the vessel's estimated 15 crew, all of whom are presumed dead.

Japanese coast guards inspect one of the boats that came under fire on Saturday
The Japanese ships were hit by bullet fire
Investigators hope to establish where the ship came from and what is was doing in Japan's economic exclusion zone in the South China Sea when it ignored coast guard orders to stop.

Japanese authorities have said they have reason to believe vessel was from North Korea, as it was almost identical to one that made an incursion in 1999.

North Korea said on Wednesday that the sinking of the ship was a "brutal act of piracy" and accused Japanese reactionaries of spreading a rumour that the vessel was North Korean.

Raising the ship

Pyongyang's accusations followed Japanese media reports that the country's military had intercepted radio messages between North Korea and the mystery ship.

A patrol plane had located the vessel on Friday after a US intelligence tip-off, the reports said.

There is speculation that the boat could have been on a spying or drug smuggling mission.

The Japanese authorities are hoping the autopsy of the two bodies and the analysis of over 150 pieces of debris recovered from the boat will give them a clearer idea.

A coast guard spokesman said it was not known when the results would be released.

Earlier in the week, Tokyo said it was considering salvaging the vessel to help determine its nationality.

Engine problems

After a six-hour chase, the mystery vessel was first believed to have been sunk by Japanese fire, but Japan later raised the possibility that the crew had scuttled the ship.

Japanese officials say pictures released on Monday show the crew of the foreign boat using shoulder-held rocket launchers.

Local media have also reported that the vessel was left behind by two other boats after engine problems prevented it from fleeing the area at full speed.

See also:

26 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
N Korea condemns boat sinking
25 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
Japan may raise mystery ship
23 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
Japan's hard line on coastal incursions
22 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
Japan fires on 'intruding' boat
26 Mar 99 | Asia-Pacific
North Korea denies 'spy ship' charge
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories